title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

APE conversion to Flac

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • len bell
    • Jul 2013

APE conversion to Flac

I have a few APE files, if APE and FLAC are both lossless..is it worth it converting the few APE Files I have to uncompressed FLAC? any audible difference?
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: APE conversion to Flac

There should be no audible differences, but it might be better to have all the all audio files using the audio format.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• garym
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Nov 2007

I would convert the APE files to FLAC. Lossless to Lossless conversion is no issue. No sound quality difference between different lossless formats (unless something is broken in your decoder/system). Also keep in mind that there is no sound quality benefit to uncompressed FLAC vs FLAC compressed between 1 and 8. This "compression" is not the same as lossy compression (i.e., mp3 files). A compressed FLAC file at, say, "5", is still lossless. Compressing the FLAC file when encoding takes a bit more time, but for the decoding of a FLAC file this is not relevant (doesn't matter if it is uncompressed, vs 5 vs 8, etc.). Nothing wrong with uncompressed FLAC files, but don't assume it is giving you any Sound Quality advantages, as it is not. But at least you're not using WAV for any supposed SQ improvement. Tagging of WAV files is not very universal and WAV files don't have the built in checksum checking that FLAC files contain.

Comment

• len bell
        • Jul 2013

got it, i think my confusion has been resolved..I was looking at bit rates..and thinking incorrectly that the lower APE bitrate meant it was of lesser quality than FLAC which is not the case as you have explained lossless is lossless .......separately ive read tons and there is extensive compressed vs uncompressed flac debate..im new to this so on the advice of michael lavorgna over at audiostream i just decided to go with uncompressed flac and not worry about storage space..preciate your answers

Comment

Working...

]]>