title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Converted 3,000 files from mp3 to FLAC

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • len bell
    • Jul 2013

Converted 3,000 files from mp3 to FLAC

Hello,

I converted 3,000 of my mp3 files to FLAC using dbpoweramp..was that a wasted effort or did i improve the sound quality of those former mp3s..or did i actually degrade them and need to delete and stick with the original form as recorded.

Thanks,
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Converted 3,000 files from mp3 to FLAC

It was a waste of effort, as you have created FLAC files with the sound quality of mp3 files.

The quality is not degraded it is exactly the same as playing an mp3, but it is not CD quality.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• BrodyBoy
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Sep 2011

Re: Converted 3,000 files from mp3 to FLAC

Originally posted by len bell
      Hello,

I converted 3,000 of my mp3 files to FLAC using dbpoweramp..was that a wasted effort or did i improve the sound quality of those former mp3s..or did i actually degrade them and need to delete and stick with the original form as recorded.

Thanks,
      Yes, that conversion does nothing for you but make the files a lot bigger. While it's a lot more time-consuming, your best bet is to go back and re-rip all those CDs to a lossless format (FLAC, if that's your preference).

Regardless of what format you may expect to use on a day-to-day basis, it's always a good practice to rip to lossless and save an archive of those rips. Every other format can be made from these originals, whenever needed, but lossless can never be created from non-lossless.

Comment

Working...

]]>