title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Converting VBR to CBR MP3 without Quality Loss (Quality Level 0 to 320 CBR)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TheNit
    • Feb 2012

Converting VBR to CBR MP3 without Quality Loss (Quality Level 0 to 320 CBR)

I've been in the habit of ripping CDs to FLAC and then converting FLAC to VBR Quality Level 0 MP3's. THe VBR MP3s and FLAC files work fine with my Cowon MP3 player and the VBR MP3s work fine with my Marantz Receiver. I've now got an Audi whose MMI will play VBR MP3s but will not display the remaining time properly. Now I would like to (one time thing) convert my MP3s from VBR to 320 CBR so I can put them on a memory card and download them to the Audi's hard drive and I don't want to lose any of the quality. I have Dbpoweramp and EZ CD Audio converter software. Will either of these do the conversion without losing quality? I don't have all of the FLAC files to do the convert so it would easier to go from MP3 to MP3. If not either of these, are there any other programs that would do the job?
  • garym
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Nov 2007

Re: Converting VBR to CBR MP3 without Quality Loss (Quality Level 0 to 320 CBR)

dbpa will do this (convert from mp3 (vbr) to mp3 CBR, and maintain artwork and metadata as well. Of course you'd be transcoding from lossy to lossy, so this is not generally a good idea. But you're very unlikely to notice any difference. This said, I'd keep the original mp3 VBR files as my archive for playing elsewhere. I know you didn't keep all the FLAC files, but for other folks reading this, this situation is why keeping the FLAC (or other lossless files) is a good idea even if you plan on only using the lossy files (mp3,aac). If you had all the FLAC files, you could simply use dbpa to convert from FLAC to mp3 of any sort without having to resort to lossy to lossy transcoding. But again, your transcoded files should be just fine, particularly in an automobile environment.

Comment

• Porcus
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Feb 2007

Re: Converting VBR to CBR MP3 without Quality Loss (Quality Level 0 to 320 CBR)

Late reply, but:

There is an application called mp3packer which can do this. Also, there exists a GUI front-end.

Comment

Working...

]]>