title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

What's the best LAME setting at 128kps?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • June
    • Apr 2002

What's the best LAME setting at 128kps?

Hi !

I'm using dbPoweramp music convertor to rip from a CD to MP3. I like to end up with 128kbps files using LAME 3.93. However, the advanced settings have me puzzled. Right now I have it set this way: 128kbps stereo 44100khz; constant bitrate; preset quality 'very high' .
    Are there any better settings to get better quality at 128kbps (encoding time & filesize are not an issue) ? The Alt-Presets have me confused, I'm hoping 'very high' is the best ?

Thanks very much

~~ June
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: What's the best LAME setting at 128kps?

You are best with the Alt Preset standards, get the latest dMC beta version as this correctly removes the options such as bitrate selection when using any presets.

Try alt preset standard.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• June
      • Apr 2002

Thanks !

Comment

• Unregistered

Originally posted by Spoon
        You are best with the Alt Preset standards, get the latest dMC beta version as this correctly removes the options such as bitrate selection when using any presets.

Try alt preset standard.
        I'd like to trancode my LAME --alt-preset standard MP3s to --alt-preset 128 encoded MP3s and preserve ID3 tags. Bit I'm having problems with the new dMC-r10.exe:

1. There seems to be no way to enter a custom preset for setting --alt-preset 128.

2. Even though I've set both 'Smart v1 & v2' and 'Both v1 & v2' in dMC configuration, the resulting transcoded MP3s are missing the tags in the original MP3.

Thanks for any pointers.

Shel

Comment

• Unregistered

Originally posted by Unregistered
          1. There seems to be no way to enter a custom preset for setting --alt-preset 128.
          Okay. I found I can select '--alt-preset abr' in the LAME presets, set dbpowerAMP to encode at 128kbps, and I seem to come up with the same results as running the command: '--alt-preset 128'

2. Even though I've set both 'Smart v1 & v2' and 'Both v1 & v2' in dMC configuration, the resulting transcoded MP3s are missing the tags in the original MP3.
          That was with the 'Preserve ID3 tags' option set too. It seemed that my problem was that dbpowerAMP would only write ID3v2 tags, and not ID3v1 tags. I was using EncSpot to check tags in the transcoded files, and it appears that EncSpot only supports ID3v1 tags.

But something odd happpend when transcoding a group of MP3s created by various encoders for one specific album. I had gone through all the album's MP3s creating and syncing ID3v1 and ID3v2 tags before transcoding. Then for some reason I still haven't figured out, dbpowerAMP created ID3v2 tags for all but 3 files while transcoding from LAME abr 192 to 128, creating >ID3v1< tags for those 3 MP3s!

Not a huge problem, but a puzzlement.

Shel

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

In dMC Configuration you can set the tag options.
            Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>