title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

AccurateRip

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Krister
    • Sep 2012

AccurateRip

Hi guys,

I hope so much that someone can help me since a few of my CDs get only 1 on AccurateRip so I wonder if this is a bad rip if it's only 1 or 2 since a few others of my CDs get as high as 39. I hope so much that someone can help me.

Warm Greetings,

Krister
  • garym
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Nov 2007

Re: AccurateRip

Originally posted by Krister
    Hi guys,

I hope so much that someone can help me since a few of my CDs get only 1 on AccurateRip so I wonder if this is a bad rip if it's only 1 or 2 since a few others of my CDs get as high as 39. I hope so much that someone can help me.

Warm Greetings,

Krister
    1 is good. Either not a popular CD or a very new release. But 200 is not really better than 1. Keep in mind what this "1" means. It means that another person, with a different copy of the same disk, ripping that disk on a different computer with a different CD drive got the exact same audio stream bits as you got on your own rip. The only reason a "1" is not good is if you ripped the same CD months ago and the "1" you are now getting is a match back to yourself.

Comment

• Krister
      • Sep 2012

Hi Gary,

Thanks so much for clearing that out to me since I was not sure what it meant. I have two different pressings of this CD from 1988 with La Toya Jackson. One pressing from USA and that one is not even in AccurateRip at all but the other pressing from Germany get 1 in AccurateRip. I guess this CD is not very popular and not her best but should I rip the one that gets 1 in AccurateRip or the USA version that is not in AccurateRip? I Am sorry for my maybe stupid question but I would like to know what you would do if you were me.

Comment

• Krister
        • Sep 2012

Is a CD that is a Secure rip a good rip Gary? Some of my CDs are not AccurateRip but Secure rips

Comment

• garym
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Nov 2007

Hi Gary,

Thanks so much for clearing that out to me since I was not sure what it meant. I have two different pressings of this CD from 1988 with La Toya Jackson. One pressing from USA and that one is not even in AccurateRip at all but the other pressing from Germany get 1 in AccurateRip. I guess this CD is not very popular and not her best but should I rip the one that gets 1 in AccurateRip or the USA version that is not in AccurateRip? I Am sorry for my maybe stupid question but I would like to know what you would do if you were me.
          I'd rip them both. With a "1" match that is excellent and the odds of that not being 100% bit perfect is probably millions to one. And regarding your other question (secure rip but not in accuraterip), that's not a problem to worry about. only about 70-80% of my CDs are in AccurateRip. But having a SECURE rip is the next best thing. And the good news is that now things are becoming available that allow one to check their album FLAC rips to ACCURATERIP at a later time. So maybe your rips that are only SECURE today can be compared to ACCURATERIP a few years in the future (dbpa has the beta PerfectTunes which can do this on existing rips).

But bottom line, if you have even a "1" on AR or at least a SECURE rip, for me that is perfection and I don't think about it again.

Comment

• Krister
            • Sep 2012

Thanks so much for your help Gary. You are awesome mate.

Comment

• Krister
              • Sep 2012

I forgot to ask you about what to add from DSP? I have only added Replay Gain but should I add anything more from DSP. I also rip my files as Flac Lossless Uncompressed. Please give me some more info Gary.

Comment

• garym
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Nov 2007

I forgot to ask you about what to add from DSP? I have only added Replay Gain but should I add anything more from DSP. I also rip my files as Flac Lossless Uncompressed. Please give me some more info Gary.
                All I add is ReplayGain (add the tags for Album and Artist). I don't add any other DSP when ripping to FLAC. I use FLAC at "5" rather than uncompressed, but it really doesn't matter. FLAC = lossless whether at uncompressed, 1, 2,....8, etc. Lossless = Lossless.

Comment

• Krister
                  • Sep 2012

Thanks mate. That's good to know

Comment

• garym
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Nov 2007

And I have the album art saved as "cover.jpg" in the same directory as my album tracks (rather than embedded in each track). Either works, but I like to use 1000x1000 album art where possible so I hate to embed a copy in each track. Regarding dynamic naming (lower left of ripping screen, "naming" SET > I use the following dynamic naming string. This automatically handles naming for compilations, multidisk, albums with album artist or only artist, etc. You can experiment with this and modify to fit your needs:

[IFCOMP]Compilations\[album] [IFMULTI] \Disc [disc][]\[track]-[title]-[artist][][IF!COMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[artist][]\[album][IFMULTI] \Disc [disc][]\[track]-[title][]

Comment

• Krister
                      • Sep 2012

Hi Gary,

Do you know if I can listen to my Flac files while I Am ripping at the same time or does the rips get bad then? I hope to hear from you soon mate

Comment

• garym
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • Nov 2007

Hi Gary,

Do you know if I can listen to my Flac files while I Am ripping at the same time or does the rips get bad then? I hope to hear from you soon mate
                        No problem, I do it all the time. This assumes you are not using some super low power processor. A normal computer, no problem at all.

Comment

• Krister
                          • Sep 2012

Thanks mate for always helping me. I really appreciate it

Comment

• Porcus
                            dBpoweramp Guru
                            • Feb 2007

garym is right. Myself I use compression level 8, as it still does not take much more time than the actual ripping except the final track - decoding speeds are about the same regardless of -0 or -8, and FLAC is already one of the absolutely fastest formats around.

A couple of details:

- Secure means that dBpoweramp has made all attempts necessary (according to settings) to ensure that every sample is correct. It is as secure as you can get it without an independent rip that matches.

- Make sure you use the ReplayGain DSP and not the "ReplayGain Apply" DSP, as the latter changes the actual volume (the former merely writes a tag that instructs the player to turn the volume knob, and for lossless archiving, that is what you want).

- You can listen to music while ripping, but you could get in trouble if you try to listen to precisely the files you rip while dBpoweramp still works on the CD - dBpoweramp will write the ReplayGain tags after it has been through all the tracks, and if a file is being accessed you could get a sharing violation.

- I would rip both releases of the same album (to distinguish them, you can e.g. append the album title with '[German]' or '[US]'). If you then compare ReplayGain values, they may very well differ. Often, more recent masters have fallen prey to the loudness war.

- Shouldn't a Swede start a question with "I am curious" and then some colour?

Comment

• garym
                              dBpoweramp Guru
                              • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Porcus
                              - You can listen to music while ripping, but you could get in trouble if you try to listen to precisely the files you rip while dBpoweramp still works on the CD - dBpoweramp will write the ReplayGain tags after it has been through all the tracks, and if a file is being accessed you could get a sharing violation.
                              Excellent point. When I answered I was thinking about listening to *previously* ripped FLAC files from a different album when ripping some new files (or surfing the web, doing email, or otherwise using the computer to do other things while ripping). But I would certainly not listen to any of the FLAC files from a CD I was currently ripping until I was completely done with the ripping (and as Porcus points out, the RG tags are applied at the end).

Comment

Working...

]]>