title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

cda files

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Unregistered

cda files

I have installed on my pc a load of cda files and when i try to convert them even using the file converter it says error can only convert from cd.Any help would be appreciated
  • Joseph
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Oct 2002

You can't just copy and paste CDA Files from an audio cd. They are just little files telling computers and audio players where the data on the CD is located. You have to Digitally extract the informaiton using a utility such as DMC Audio CD Input.

Comment

• Unregistered

Originally posted by Unregistered
      I have installed on my pc a load of cda files and when i try to convert them even using the file converter it says error can only convert from cd.Any help would be appreciated
      I burned commercial CD originals onto CD-Rs that ended up cda on the disk even though I selected .wav in the burning process. But I can select .wav then Convert (next to Info button) and convert them back to .wav on my HD.

Let me know if you have Roxio software and need more detailed info.

FredMcAmis@Bigfoot.Com

Comment

• Unregistered

Originally posted by Joseph
        You can't just copy and paste CDA Files from an audio cd. They are just little files telling computers and audio players where the data on the CD is located. You have to Digitally extract the informaiton using a utility such as DMC Audio CD Input.

http://www.dbpoweramp.com/spoons-aud...e-sourcing.htm
        I convert .cda files on CD-R's to .wav with Roxio CD Creator

FredMcAmis@Bigfoot.Com

Comment

• xoas
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Apr 2002

FYI-
          Pretty much every Windows program for ripping CD's to the hard drive will automatically convert the cd's to wav. files (which is the way the computer reads .cda files). This is what dMC (dBpowerAMP Music Converter). And every Windows program that will burn cd's is going to turn .wav files into .cda tracks on the new disc. I mention this to avoid giving the impression that one needs to have Roxio CD Creator to do this job. I personally don't have anything against Roxio CD Creator, but there are many other programs that perform the same job as well.
          If, as Joseph suspects, the original problem was caused by dragging and dropping cda files from the cd drive to the hard drive, then he is correct-the solution is to delete the cda files from the hard drive and rip the tracks from the cd to .wav (or other preferred format) on the hard drive. This is one of the jobs that dMC (using dMC Audio CD Input) was created for but Roxio CD Creator and several other noteworthy programs will do the same job also.
          If the files were not dragged and dropped from the cd to the hard drive then it may be that the cda files on the hard drive are not really cda files after all. If that is the case, if the original unregistered could post back to indicate how the files were transferred from cd to disc there may be a way to convert the tracks on the hard drive without having to rip them them again.
          Hope this helps,
          Bill Mikkelsen

Comment

• RossRoy
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • May 2003

Actually CDA files contain no audio information. All they do is contain the information about where on the CD is the audio data for the CD player to go play. See the CDA files as a table of content, doesn't hold the information, but tells you where to find.

Comment

• xoas
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Apr 2002

Point taken and thanks for stating this so clearly.
              Could this be part of a chapter for Razgo's proposed work on unravelling the complexities of dBPowerAMP for the lay-person (a species of which I am clearly a member!). (This piece might be included in a chapter dealing with understanding different codecs and compression formats-which might also tie into tagging issues).
              best wishes,
              Bill Mikkelsen

Comment

• Razgo
                Administrator
                • Apr 2002

yes my "dbpoweramp for dummies" book should look at all these aspects over time.

Comment

• Unregistered

Re: cda files

I find if I choose "rip cd" instead of "rip to" , the program sucessfully does convert cda to mpe format.

Comment

• Unregistered

[QUOTE=Unregistered]I convert .cda files on CD-R's to .wav with Roxio CD Creator
                    Thank you. I was just searching the internet for an answer when MusicMatch jukebox didn't do the job. Thanks for reminding about my Roxio.

Liz

Comment

• kim imbriglio

I burned commercial CD originals onto CD-Rs that ended up cda on the disk even though I selected .wav in the burning process. But I can select .wav then Convert (next to Info button) and convert them back to .wav on my HD.

Let me know if you have Roxio software and need more detailed info.

FredMcAmis@Bigfoot.Com
                      I was wondering if you could help me. I am trying to convert from .wav to .cda. I want to burn .wav files form my clie to a cd for my cd player. I have tried RealPlayer and Media Player and was unsuccessful.

thanks,
                      kim

Comment

• ChristinaS
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • Apr 2004

Originally posted by kim imbriglio
                        I was wondering if you could help me. I am trying to convert from .wav to .cda. I want to burn .wav files form my clie to a cd for my cd player. I have tried RealPlayer and Media Player and was unsuccessful.

thanks,
                        kim
                        If those are actual wav files and not something else with the wrong file extension, you can use any cd burning software to create an audio cd from them. They should be first on your hard drive, of course.

The CD Writer program from here does a great job of this (since it can take different input formats as well), as does Nero and Roxio and numerous other programs.

Comment

Working...

]]>