title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Can someone please explain [highestqualitydecode] and [noallowfloat] ?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tscolin
    • Feb 2013

Can someone please explain [highestqualitydecode] and [noallowfloat] ?

So i understand kind of what [highestqualitydecode] is doing, and i kind of understand what [noallowfloat] is doing. here is where im at a mystery.

[highestqualitydecode]
    1. Is it decoding at the highest level of the media its decoding? example: 16bit 44.1khz song is decoded as a 16bit 44.1khz song. A 24bit 96khz song is decoded exactly as 24bit 96khz.
    2. Does it always convert to float? If so, doesn't a say... number 23 just become 23.000000000? Is this a slowdown in the pipe?
    3. If i am decoding a float32 audio file, if [highestqualitydecode] isnt specified, is it decoding it as say... int32 or int24?
    4. if i dont specify [highestqualitydecode], is my int16, int24, and float audio being decoded at an inferior quality as to what the source is?
    5. Is it only useful for int audio if you are using DSP's? To say... avoid clipping, and eliminate rounding errors?

[noallowfloat]
    1. In the event that an integer based audio file is playing, is this even placing itself in the pipe? As in, is there any slowdown if its specified for non float audio.
    2. What would it be converting float32 to? int32? Is the lost integer data being rounded up and down, or just truncated?
    3. Is it a hardblock? (ive yet to decode any float audio so i dont know what it does) As in, if i throw float audio at dbpoweramp with this specified, will it tell me to just piss off?

[noallowfloat] + [highestqualitydecode]
    hqd = highest quality decode. naf = no allow float
    1. if hqd converts to float, and naf converts to int, is this just a useless loop?
    2. if hqd converts 16bit audio to say float32, is naf then converting float32 to int32? Isnt this counter productive as you cant get better than the original source?

I'd really appreciate any answers to these questions, obviously i am somewhat confused to what they are doing, and why they are doing it, or if they are truly even needed...

Thank you!

*edit*

I encoded one 16bit 44khz song with highqualitydecode both on and off. When compared, (with the exception of some header bullshit), they are bit for bit identical. So its doing nothing?
    Last edited by tscolin; 02-19-2013, 12:55 AM.
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Can someone please explain [highestqualitydecode] and [noallowfloat] ?

Lossy formats are stored mathmatically, that is not fixed to a bit depth, that means mp3 can be decoded to 16 bit, 24 bit, 32 bit float.

Do you get any more 'sound' if the mp3 was encoded from 16 bit? I doubt it.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• tscolin
      • Feb 2013

For the sake of argument, lets assume everything is lossless, and bit depth is defined.

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

Those options have no effect.
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>