title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

File tags appear, disappear, and reappear...please explain

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DBPA ROCKS!
    • Jan 2013

File tags appear, disappear, and reappear...please explain

I rip to everything to wav (don't ask or suggest, wav is my thing).
    DBPA is great for wav because it is able to write additional tags into the wav chunk.
    So for example, if I include ALBUM ARTIST in my ripped file tags, the ALBUM ARTIST shows up in my folder view of the files in Windows 7.......and the ALBUM ART is embedded in each file as well which is wonderful.

I was having some issues updating tags. In an effort to rule out any conflict between DBPA (EDIT ID3) and the program Tag & Rename, I uninstalled both DBPA and Tag & Rename with the intent of doing a fresh reinstall of DBPA.
    Before I reinstalled DBPA, I noticed that my Windows folder view suddenly lost ALBUM ARTIST information and showed this field as blank.
    Additonally, if I single clicked the ripped file to preview and viewed the preview information in the Windows folder at the bottom of the screen, the ALBUM ART that was embedded in each file in that folder, the ALBUM ART only showed in the preview thumbnail for track 1 file, not for any of the other files (tracks).

I then tried loading the files to MusicBee and the art still appeared to be embedded in each file even though it did not necessarily show in the Windows folder previews.

Upon reinstalling DBPA, the ALBUM ARTIST column for each track and the ALBUM ART thumbnails for each track come back and are displayed in the Windows folder column for ALBUM ARTIST and the art shows up in the thumbnail preview for each track.

So here are my questions (dumb as they may be):
    1. Apparently DBPA must be installed for the Windows folder view to show the ALBUM ARTIST and to appropriately show the art thumbnail for each file? Why is this?

2. Even though DBPA might get uninstalled for whatever reason, is all of the info originally ripped by DBPA in the tag chunk still there in the file, i.e. ALBUM ARTIST and embedded art, etc?.......even though Windows is having a problem reading the information, all of the info is indeed still there for any program to read such as a music player that can read those tags?

I just want to try to understand what is happening here because it really freaked me out when I first thought I had lost all of that tag info in my DBPA ripped music files.

THANKS!
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: File tags appear, disappear, and reappear...please explain

>and to appropriately show the art thumbnail for each file? Why is this?

Because Windows cannot read anything but basic wave tags, dBpoweramp takes over that reading for Windows.

Uninstalling dBpoweramp does not change the files.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>