title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Huge number of frames to re-rip

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • skypilotpete
    • May 2009

Huge number of frames to re-rip

I'm currently trying to rip some audiobook CDs using "secure rip" and I'm getting huge numbers of frames to re-rip - 10-20,000 on lots of 5 minute tracks. I've never had this before and I'm wondering if it could indicate a problem with my drive rather than with the CDs. The CDs are from my local library, but they are only a couple of months old and have not been used by many listeners. There are no obvious big scratches on them, just the usual marks that indicate that people haven't been particularly careful with them. I've copied many CDs that look much worse than these without getting re-rip frame numbers like this. Also, the number of frames to re-rip is not consistent. For example, CD Ripper initially reported only 10 frames to re-rip on one particular track. I cancelled the rip and then tried again, just as a test, and the second time CD Ripper reported around 7000 frames to re-rip.
    I also used "Burst" method to re-rip one track for which "Secure Rip" had reported 20,000 problem frames. I then listened to it all the way through and there were no audible problems with it. I would have expected that 20,000 problem frames in a 5 minute track would have resulted in something audible after a burst rip.

Does any of this suggest anything to anyone? Could it be that my CD drive is playing up?
    Last edited by skypilotpete; 10-26-2012, 08:35 AM.
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Huge number of frames to re-rip

Issue with the drive, if you have c2 pointers on, try to disable.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• pablogm123
      dBpoweramp Enthusiast
      • May 2012

Bug of Renesas based SATA drives, common nowadays.

Comment

• skypilotpete
        • May 2009

Thanks for the replies. I have tried re-ripping some of my own CDs which I know are fine, and I'm not getting any problems at all. So, unless there is something else unusual about the CDs I'm getting all the errors with, I imagine it must be that they are more damaged than appears at first sight.

Originally posted by pablogm123
        Bug of Renesas based SATA drives, common nowadays.
        My CD/DVD burner is a PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-216 ATA. Is that one of these Renesas based drives you are referring to?

Comment

• pablogm123
          dBpoweramp Enthusiast
          • May 2012

Your drive is NEC based. It is a weird issue, I own and tested a few of NEC based drives, and C2 pointers always worked flawlessly, without issues.

Currently, I own NEC based working finely:
          -Pioneer DVR-110D @ 110AXL, controller is CMD-649.
          -Pioneer DVR-107D, controller is CMD/SiI-680A. Once attached to a JMicron JMB363, working OK.
          -Optiarc AD-7240S, native controller of B75 chipset, IDE mode.

Which controller is the one used for attaching that drive? I would try ripping that problematic CD in another drive you own, or from a friend of yours. For example, a Mediatek based drive (+6/+12 in Accuraterip's list), if they cannot report any C2 error, for any reason your drive/controller set cannot pass properly C2 pointers. And test the 8 KB option below of C2 pointers checkbox in secure ripping options.

Comment

• skypilotpete
            • May 2009

Originally posted by pablogm123
            Which controller is the one used for attaching that drive?
            I have run CPUID PC Wizard, and it shows 3 disk controllers, but I don't know which relates to the DVD drive, and I don't know what the information means.

Disk Controller 1 :Intel
            Mode :IDE
            AHCI :Yes
            IDE Legacy :No
            NCQ :No
            Port Multiplier :No
            eSATA :No

Disk Controller 2:Intel
            AHCI :Yes
            IDE Legacy :No
            NCQ :No
            Port Multiplier :No
            eSATA : No

Disk Controller 3 :JMicro
            AHCI : No

Comment

• pablogm123
              dBpoweramp Enthusiast
              • May 2012

A long time ago (when release the ICH8) Intel drop the PATA support, and it is need a chip provided by another manufacturer for PATA support. JMicron is a typical manufacturer of chips to add PATA support. Try updating the driver of JMicron controller:
              ftp://driver.jmicron.com.tw/SATA_Controller/

Comment

Working...

]]>