title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

CD Ripper. Album Metadata. Album Name missing on random tracks ==> iTunes Mess

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gnits
    • Oct 2012

CD Ripper. Album Metadata. Album Name missing on random tracks ==> iTunes Mess

I have spent 5 hours ripping CDs. I have then imported them into iTunes.

I am horrified now to discover that (apparently) randomly the Album name is missing from various tracks. This results in missing tracks in Albums within iTunes (and other programs) and an almighty mess of my iTunes database.

It is way too much work to manually correct. It looks like I will have to delete all my work and start again (if I can trace the cause).

I have been double checking each album at the rip stage and a review of the metadata indicates that all is ok. How incredible is it that the program does note paste the Album name into each track within an album.

"PerfectMeta Data" is leaving a very sour taste.

Two questions.
    1. Can I repair the problem (ie certain tracks have a blank Album Title field).
    2. How can I prevent this happening again.
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: CD Ripper. Album Metadata. Album Name missing on random tracks ==> iTunes Mess

We have seen this before, are you using a MAC computer running parallels, or ripping to a network share?
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• garym
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Nov 2007

Re: CD Ripper. Album Metadata. Album Name missing on random tracks ==> iTunes Mess

Originally posted by gnits
      I have spent 5 hours ripping CDs. I have then imported them into iTunes.

I am horrified now to discover that (apparently) randomly the Album name is missing from various tracks. This results in missing tracks in Albums within iTunes (and other programs) and an almighty mess of my iTunes database.

It is way too much work to manually correct. It looks like I will have to delete all my work and start again (if I can trace the cause).

I have been double checking each album at the rip stage and a review of the metadata indicates that all is ok. How incredible is it that the program does note paste the Album name into each track within an album.

"PerfectMeta Data" is leaving a very sour taste.

Two questions.
      1. Can I repair the problem (ie certain tracks have a blank Album Title field).
      2. How can I prevent this happening again.
      Sorry to hear you've had problems. Something is clearly wrong on your end (I've ripped thousands of CDs with dbpa and perfectmeta, etc. and not seen this issue before).
      (edit: or maybe not...I just saw Spoon's post)

A few questions:

1. what file type are you ripping to (mp3, ALAC, m4a?)
      2. What happens if you look at these files by right clicking and seeing file properties in windows explorer (seeing the dbpa tag info that way). Is the album tag field there?
      3. Try installing mp3tag, then select these files, right click and select "extended tags". Do you see expected tags there?

in terms of fixing things. Install the Codec in dbpa called ID TAG UPDATE. You can open the albums in batch, then use this to correct the Album Name. I also use mp3tag to do the same thing.

Comment

• gnits
        • Oct 2012

Sorry for delay. Only spotted replies a few misn ago.

I am using dbpoweramp on Win 7 to rip to a Synology Nas. I am playing the music from a Mac using Audirvana (playing files from Nas)

Here is a screen dump in Audirvana showing the missing fields on track 11.

Last edited by gnits; 10-19-2012, 06:27 PM.

Comment

• garym
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Nov 2007

can't see image. use the function in the message bar to insert an actual image. Also, what sort of files are you ripping to?

Comment

• gnits
            • Oct 2012

More specific response.
            A few questions:

1. what file type are you ripping to (mp3, ALAC, m4a?)
            Aiff
            2. What happens if you look at these files by right clicking and seeing file properties in windows explorer (seeing the dbpa tag info that way). Is the album tag field there?

See this link for a screen dump. http://mattobrien.zenfolio.com/p2624...9404*h47e29404

3. Try installing mp3tag, then select these files, right click and select "extended tags". Do you see expected tags there?

Will try.

in terms of fixing things. Install the Codec in dbpa called ID TAG UPDATE. You can open the albums in batch, then use this to correct the Album Name. I also use mp3tag to do the same thing.

I do not fully understand this, but will try.

Thanks for response.

Comment

• gnits
              • Oct 2012

1. MP3Tag does not support Aiff. Pity.
              2. Still trying to figure out how to install the Codec ID TAG UPDATE. Cannot see how in configurator. Will keep trying.

Comment

• Spoon
                Administrator
                • Apr 2002

It seems dBpoweramp is able to read the Album tag, just not iTunes are you using R14.3 of dBpoweramp?
                Spoon
                www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• gnits
                  • Oct 2012

That was a fast response. Second attempt to insert images. The first is a link to a web site where I posted the images. If you click on the image you get a larger view.

[IMG]file://localhost/C:/Users/Matt7/Documents/AudirvanaList.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]file://localhost/C:/Users/Matt7/Documents/Audirvana_WinExplorer_Properties.jpg[/IMG]

Comment

• gnits
                    • Oct 2012

I only installed the app a few days. How can I see the version number. Clicking on Help just brings me to a web page.

Comment

• garym
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • Nov 2007

run the configuration program. it will show you the version *

Comment

• Spoon
                        Administrator
                        • Apr 2002

Please email one of these files:

Spoon
                        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• gnits
                          • Oct 2012

I am using Audirvana in standalone mode. Audirvana can run integrated to ITunes, but this mode was a disaster, with iTunes crashing and my iTunes database screwed up. I suspected that Audirvana was not picking up the metadata (for some reason, and have written to Audirvana) and then crashed when trying to integrate to iTunes.

So, only using Audirvana in standalone mode.

I need to get the workflow correct before I re-rip my entire cd collection. I am also ripping to Aiff and Apple lossless at the same time (AIF on a different disk volume to Apple Lossless. Aiff for high quality playing to high end amplifier and speaker via DAC and Apple lossless for Itunes / iPhone usage.

Comment

• gnits
                            • Oct 2012

1. I have sent you a file via dropbox.
                            2. Version numbers follow:

dBpoweramp Music Converter: Registered Reference
                            Release 14.3
                            DSP Effects: Release 8

Asset UPnP: UPnP (DLNA) Audio Server

dBpoweramp CD Writer:
                            Audio CD burning simplicity

Comment

• Spoon
                              Administrator
                              • Apr 2002

I downloaded your track, loaded it into iTunes, the album name shows correctly.
                              Spoon
                              www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>