title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

ALAC to FLAC Results In Static

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fallsroad
    • Aug 2010

ALAC to FLAC Results In Static

I am converting ALAC 24 bit 88/96/192khz files to FLAC. I've never experienced any trouble converting ALAC to FLAC or the other way before.

In all cases the resulting FLAC file is 10% - 50% larger than the original, reports as being considerably longer, and consists of nothing but digital static. The ALACs themselves will play fine in Foobar, but cannot be converted to any other format successfully. There are some 16 bit files mixed in, and those convert without issue.

I tried a bunch of older 24 bit files I've had, converting them to FLAC and back again without trouble.

ETA: Also updated to R14.3 with the same result.

EDIT 2: There is an apparent discrepancy in the file properties.

If I right click on one of the ALAC files in question and choose the Audio Properties tab, dMC is reporting the Sample Size as 16 bit, though it does report the Sampling Rate correctly.

If I load the file into Foobar and check properties, Foobar correctly reports the Sample Size as 24 bit.

I can also successfully convert the ALAC files to FLAC or WAV using Foobar. I'm at a loss.
    Last edited by Fallsroad; 10-03-2012, 05:36 AM.
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: ALAC to FLAC Results In Static

There are versions of MAX which writes incorrect ALAC files (as far as we know) with the sample size set wrong in one part of the file, which dBpoweramp uses, yet correct in another part of the file (which others use). Such is a corrupted file as the two have to equal the same.
    Last edited by Spoon; 10-03-2012, 08:19 PM.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Fallsroad
      • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Spoon
      There are versions of XLD which writes incorrect ALAC files (as far as we know) with the sample size set wrong in one part of the file, which dBpoweramp uses, yet correct in another part of the file (which others use). Such is a corrupted file as the two have to equal the same.
      So Foobar reads it one way, dMC another? The conversions through Foobar seem to be correct, but it is not a program I'd choose to do this sort of conversion.

Is there any way to modify the file so dMC can read it and convert it successfully?

In the tags it lists the encoder as "Max 0.9.1."

Comment

• Fallsroad
        • Aug 2010

If i do FLAC --> ALAC conversions using dMC and then try to play the files on a Mac or convert them on a Mac, will the same problem crop up?

Comment

• Spoon
          Administrator
          • Apr 2002

I have edited my previous post, you are correct it is MAX with the bug.

You can convert FLAC >> ALAC with dbpoweramp, we use Apples own encoder so does not have any bug.
          Spoon
          www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>