title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Converting iTunes files to flac

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jonnyevo
    • Apr 2011

Converting iTunes files to flac

Hi

When I purchase music from the iTunes store it comes in AAC format which is not recognised by twonky server - for id tagging purposes.

My question is .......

If I convert these iTunes files to flac .... Will dBpoweramp music converter DECODE these files FIRST before encoding them into flac files?

I've done it before and it results in much larger (Flac)file sizes.....BUT... Is the sound QUALITY actually any better as a result of this conversion???????

Or will it be the same quality as iTunes always outputs as standard?

It certainly helps with the ID tags......

Thanks in advance!

Jonny.
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Converting iTunes files to flac

AAC is lossy, converting to FLAC (which is a lossless codec) will have the quality of lossy, but take 4x the space. You do not improve the sound quality.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• jonnyevo
      • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Spoon
      AAC is lossy
      doesn't dB music converter actually decode these files before encoding to flac and thus 'restore' some of the 'lost' data (which is lost on conversion to AAC by apple)?

or doesnt it work like that?

and so which is the best format to convert itunes AAC music files TO in order that i can properly tag these (dB converter) converted files?

also ive noticed that amazon mp3's are 24bit mp3's..... is this a better quality than itunes or does it just depend on the kbps value of the file (as far as quality).... - itunes' is normally a higher kbps than amazon's...

amazon's mp3's are readily re-taggable within the 'edit id tag' right click function using your software....

SO..... AMAZON:blush:.... OR ..... ITUNES:teufel8:????????????

Comment

• jonnyevo
        • Apr 2011

spoon... do you EVER sleep???????!!!! ha haa!

cheers!

Comment

• Spoon
          Administrator
          • Apr 2002

aac and mp3 are both able to decode to 24 bits, but the source material is likely 16 bit.

Once quality is lost encoding to aac or mp3, it is gone forever, nothing can get it back.
          Spoon
          www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• SQ Freak
            • Oct 2012

Download free FLAC files to replace your lossy itunes AAC files that you already paid for. Forget about the itunes store. Paying full price for 18% (256kbps AAC vs. 1411kbps CD) of a song makes no sense whatsoever.
            Last edited by SQ Freak; 10-07-2012, 06:28 AM.

Comment

Working...

]]>