title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Ok to convert FLAC (Lossless Level 0) to FLAC (Lossless Level 8) ?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • engjoo
    • Feb 2012

Ok to convert FLAC (Lossless Level 0) to FLAC (Lossless Level 8) ?

I know it can be done but will I suffer any loss in quality ? I know it may sound like a stupid question but I wanted some assurances before I start doing it on my entire collection.

Running low in storage space and needed to free up some capacity.
  • Jeff Flowerday
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Mar 2008

Re: Ok to convert FLAC (Lossless Level 0) to FLAC (Lossless Level 8) ?

Originally posted by engjoo
    I know it can be done but will I suffer any loss in quality ? I know it may sound like a stupid question but I wanted some assurances before I start doing it on my entire collection.

Running low in storage space and needed to free up some capacity.
    No loss in quality. Lossless is lossless. The higher compression level will just require more CPU to decode and encode as well.

Comment

• Porcus
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Feb 2007

Re: Ok to convert FLAC (Lossless Level 0) to FLAC (Lossless Level 8) ?

Originally posted by Jeff Flowerday
      No loss in quality. Lossless is lossless. The higher compression level will just require more CPU to decode and encode as well.
      Only the encoding effort -- FLAC is a codec which isn't slower at higher compression levels. The decoding times at http://flac.sourceforge.net/comparis...ocdectime.html are not even monotone wrt. compression levels, and the differences are probably just by coincidence.

Apart from that, yes, lossless is lossless (as long as the target format actually supports the source format).

Comment

Working...

]]>