title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Upsampling - Pre or real time

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • smcpoland
    • Apr 2006

Upsampling - Pre or real time

Hi Guys,

while reading the following article (link here) I was intrigued by the following:

...Absolute Sound's series of articles on computer audio. They address the issue of "pre-upsampling" vs "real-time upsampling" of audio data. It was clear from their report and confirmed by my own listening tests that pre-upsampling 44.1/16 CD quality files, regardless of the original format, resulted in an overall improvement in the sound compared with real-time upsampling

the upsampling they are talking about is from 44/16 to 88.2/24 or 176.4/24 (amongst others).

While I know my LINN DS does realtime, is there a real benefit to doing pre-upsampling? Can this be put to the test with dbpoweramp? I know I can get the 24 bits. But can I get the 88.2 or 176.4?

I understand izotope is one of the best software-upsamplers has anyone tried it? Is there a case to ask if dbpoweramp could licence izotope for upsampling applications? Would it work? Would it be of benefit.

Many thanks and regards

Sean
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Upsampling - Pre or real time

Switch on SSRC High Precision, and Isotope, they are practically identical..

Personally I would always let the player do upsampling on playback.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• smcpoland
      • Apr 2006

Re: Upsampling - Pre or real time

Thanks for the link, very interesting, however the graphs are for down-sampling (from 96K-44.1) and not up-sampling from 44.1 - 88.2 (or 96)...I checked the FAQ's, Help etc. but couldn't find anything about upsampling. Maybe I'm missing something?

As you put it, Personally, I would in most cases (today) allow the system to upsample. However, personally, I would like to have the option to try pre-upsampling as well.

Having spoken with a couple of dealers in the past 24 hours they also believe pre-upsampling "can" work. It's something I would like to try, and as dbPA is my favorite (and only) ripper it seems the right place to start.

Maybe this is something that could be built into Multi-Encoding...for example

FLAC red book
      FLAC 44.1/24
      FLAC 88.2/24
      FLAC 176.4/24

all output to different libraries (folders) whereby the listener can then make a determination on which sounds better...storage is so cheap today.

Should I just add this feature request to the Wishlist and see what happens?

Maybe some of the other viewers on the site could give some thought as well.

Thanks and regards

Comment

Working...

]]>