title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Heavy hard drive access during conversion

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rootdown4594
    • Jan 2009

Heavy hard drive access during conversion

i do a lot of lossless audio conversions. recently i upgraded to an I7 2600. i would expect a fast encode with this processor. most of the time dbpoweramp encodes very slowly with very heavy hard drive thrashing. during encoding i have checked Resorce Monitor. it shows me that many images of the name system and a PID of 4 are accessing the files being converted along with the files being created. these images use up a ton of hard drive resources. this doesn't always happen though. sometimes i can get very fast encoding speeds of around 400x. what's hogging up my hard drive during encodings?
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Heavy hard drive access during conversion

By default dBpoweramp should default to use a single core when converting lossless, as the single CPU core is faster than the HDD. Running multiple CPU cores simply makes the HDD constantly seek, which kills data transfer rates. What are you converting from and to? are you using the DSP Effect 'CPU Force'?
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Rootdown4594
      • Jan 2009

i mainly convert flac to wma lossless. the only dsp effect im using is replay gain. my cpu has eight threads and dbpoweramp shows 8 simultaneous conversions(that's the way it's always been). the only time i see a single thread being used is when i convert to WAV. it just seems like something else other than dbpoweramp is bogging down my hard drive only when converting. i can hear my hard drive being access very heavily and it converts very slowly. but sometimes it converst at around 400x. when it does conver that fast the hard drive is nice and quiet and it's obviously not being access as heavily.

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

Use the DSP effect and set Force CPU to use only 1 cpu core.
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Rootdown4594
          • Jan 2009

what might you think would be allowing dbpoweramp to convert at a faster speed from time to time? sometimes it just doesn't seem to have such a hard hit on the hard drive.

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

Fragmented free spaces on the HDD?
            Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>