title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

ripping speed setting ignored?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fje00
    • Dec 2011

ripping speed setting ignored?

I would like rip at a max speed of 4x. In the recent issue of Stereophile magazine (or was it Absolute Sound?) they claim that rip speed affects sound quality: slower sounded better.

I have enabled secure ripping and set all the rip speed settings to 4x. Yet when I rip a CD the speed setting is being ignored. It might start out on a track at something like 7x and then climb up to 38x. Some tracks stay at the high speed all during that track.

Is CD Ripper not controlling the rip speed because the drive is for some reason not controllable?
  • garym
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Nov 2007

Re: ripping speed setting ignored?

Originally posted by fje00
    I would like rip at a max speed of 4x. In the recent issue of Stereophile magazine (or was it Absolute Sound?) they claim that rip speed affects sound quality: slower sounded better.
    According to most actual experts on digital music (and Stereophile is definitely NOT in that category as the purveyor of lots of very incorrect info), slower speed is not necessarily a good thing when ripping. And besides, you're using dbpa and getting bit perfect rips (as confirmed with either accuraterip or secure ripping matches). A bitperfect rip is a bitperfect rip and thus has nothing to do with sound quality.

Comment

• fje00
      • Dec 2011

How about the question though ... why is rip speed setting being ignored? Have I missed a setting somewhere, or is this a typical thing with certain drives?

Comment

• garym
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Nov 2007

Originally posted by fje00
        How about the question though ... why is rip speed setting being ignored? Have I missed a setting somewhere, or is this a typical thing with certain drives?
        not sure about that. Spoon will probably need to answer....

Comment

• Spoon
          Administrator
          • Apr 2002

Not all drives support the overriding of ripping speed.
          Spoon
          www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>