title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Volume Levelling - Playback algorithm

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cloudberry
    • Jun 2010

Volume Levelling - Playback algorithm

So I figured out how to get the Volume analysis done and tagged - both per track and album.

How will a played determine if it should use the album or track level

Lets say I play all tracks from an album except one or if I have a playlist with tracks from one album where I added one track from another album in the middle, or for that matter in the front.
  • garym
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Nov 2007

Re: Volume Levelling - Playback algorithm

Originally posted by Cloudberry
    So I figured out how to get the Volume analysis done and tagged - both per track and album.

How will a played determine if it should use the album or track level

Lets say I play all tracks from an album except one or if I have a playlist with tracks from one album where I added one track from another album in the middle, or for that matter in the front.
    This all depends on the player. for example foobar2000 has a setting to tell it whether it uses ALBUM or TRACK gain. And it sticks with one or the other. I really like the way my Squeezebox players work. They have an option for SMART GAIN. If you are playing an entire album, it uses ALBUM gain (which is what most people would want). If you are playing a mixture of tracks from different albums, it uses TRACK level gain. This is perfect for my use.

But again, it is all a function of how your PLAYER works. the RG info is just metadata in the tag. Its use is a function of the player itself.

Comment

• Cloudberry
      • Jun 2010

Thanks again, do you know how for instance Squeeze determines wheter it is an entire album. What if I have a playlist with three albums in sequence?

Comment

• garym
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Cloudberry
        Thanks again, do you know how for instance Squeeze determines wheter it is an entire album. What if I have a playlist with three albums in sequence?
        i'm assuming that the album tag has the same name and all the tracks are from the album in order. never really thought about it. but when I'm playing full albums, I ususally just select the artist then album, so the playlist window is only showing the album I've selected. When I use playlists, I'm only doing random stuff typically, and then I usually use dynamic playlists/SQL playlists plugins within Squeeze. Do you use SqueezeBoxes?

Comment

• Cloudberry
          • Jun 2010

Hi, not using squeeze (well one instance, where this is not an issue). I use a Linn DS, where this functionality is on the wish-list. I do it now to once and for all get this work done and finished (LOL,,,). The interface for the Linn players (Chourus HD for iPad) lets me select an album by listing all album tracks and then choose add/play all. This adds all album tracks to a playlist - be there other tracks in that playlist before. I doubt that the player will know whether these are all tracks in the album or not. I fear that there may be architectural consederation here that will make thi svery, very difficult.

Comparing Linn setup to my Squeeze: The receiver that I connect to the hifi = Linn DS player (however more advanced). The squeeze duet remote = Chorus DS or PlugPlayer or Kinsky Desktop or ...open standard. So I guess that the knowledge that this unit has regarding album selections or not - can hardly be transefered to the Linn DS....hmm

Comment

Working...

]]>