title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Apple Lossless Encoder

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • snowman69
    • Apr 2007

Apple Lossless Encoder

Hello,

With the latest announcement from Apple, what will this mean to the dbPowerampp Apple Lossless encoder? I was planning on ripping my CDs using this format and wondering if I should wait.

Thank you very much.
  • Sossity
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Jan 2010

Re: Apple Lossless Encoder

I cant seem to get a straight answer on this right now either, for me, I am going to wait until I hear something more definitive from Spoon or other more knowledgeable people here.

I have asked a similar question on here in a couple of places, with no replies as of yet, about whether the current apple lossless that dbpoweramp offers is the same as the new open source, as someone said the one now is reverse engineered or something like this.

perhaps they are working on this right now. For me for now, I will just stick with flac if I need to rip now, & convert later. I dont want to waste time & energy on the apple codec if it is not the current open one.

Comment

• BrodyBoy
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by snowman69
      Hello,

With the latest announcement from Apple, what will this mean to the dbPowerampp Apple Lossless encoder? I was planning on ripping my CDs using this format and wondering if I should wait.

Thank you very much.
      I've used the Apple Lossless encoder extensively, and never once had a compatibility or any other kind of issue. I can't imagine that it'll make any practical difference if dBp changes to a different encoder.

Originally posted by Sossity
      I dont want to waste time & energy on the apple codec if it is not the current open one.
      Waste? How do think it can or will be so different with an encoder change? Would you re-rip all your FLAC files if dBp started using a different encoder?
      Last edited by BrodyBoy; 10-30-2011, 11:46 PM.

Comment

• DarkZod
        • Jun 2009

In the meantime you could use the QAAC command line encoder using quicktime

by the way a new utility for official ALAC open source encoding without Quicktime has been released, check it out!

Comment

Working...

]]>