title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central
 
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Playlist stream conversion problem

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    30

    Playlist stream conversion problem

    I'm about 90% through my trial period on Asset UPnP, and I'm very pleased. It's really an excellent piece of work. It's running on my WHS 2011 box. I'm managing the library with MusicMonkey, which I'm also quite pleased with. I'm currently ripping music to both MP3 and FLAC (mobile and local libraries) using MyMovies for WHS 2011 -- which I'm not pleased with, but I'm still looking for something else. I'd love to have an all-in-one product (auto-rip, GUI to manage tags and files, and a UPnP server, all on my WHS 2011... kinda sounds like "RipNAS Essentials 2011"), but I really am impressed with Asset.

    I've got the Asset Configuration set so that my music library of FLAC files are streaming as LPCM (my current client doesn't recognize FLAC). When I select a track to play on the client, the source file is FLAC, but it successfully streams as LPCM, and that works great (really sounds great too). I've got a playlist folder set up, and I'm able to see my one test playlist in the Playlists folder on the client side (for those searching this forum for how, check out http://www.paraesthesia.com/archive/...sset-upnp.aspx for a good walkthrough). When I open my playlist, the listing of tracks is there, and each is indicated as being LPCM. However, when I go to play the tracks, my client shows a message that the file type isn't supported or is corrupted. Though I can't really say was exactly it happening under the covers, it seems like the browsing interface part knows to tell the client these are LPCM and not FLAC, but when it actually streams the data, it's streaming FLAC.

    Is this a known bug in Asset v3? And if so, is there an estimated date on a bug fix?

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    30

    Re: Playlist stream conversion problem

    One other thing I tried... I put an MP3 in the playlist, and while the client listed it as MP3 and has no trouble playing the MP3 directly from the Album/Track listing, when I go to play it from the playlist, the client locks up. I then set up Asset to convert MP3 streams to LPCM. The client then showed the song as LPCM in the playlist, but when I tried to play it, I got that same file not supported / corrupted error I dad when trying to play a FLAC converted to LPCM.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    30

    Re: Playlist stream conversion problem

    Just downloaded Asset v4 Beta, and it seems to have the same bug.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    30

    Re: Playlist stream conversion problem

    I turned debug logging on, and I think I see what is going on. Here's the relevant portion:

    Streaming '\\MyServerName\Music\Playlists\\MyServerName\Musi c\Local\Bobby Long\A Winter Tale\03 - The Bounty of Mary Jane.flac'
    ->-> [clDecoder::Open]
    Opening file '\\MyServerName\Music\Playlists\\MyServerName\Musi c\Local\Bobby Long\A Winter Tale\03 - The Bounty of Mary Jane.flac' for read access: *** Error: Error opening file '\\MyServerName\Music\Playlists\\MyServerName\Musi c\Local\Bobby Long\A Winter Tale\03 - The Bounty of Mary Jane.flac' check no other program has it open. [clDecoder::Open]
    It would seem that Asset is assuming the playlist entries are relative paths, and simply appending them to the path the playlist exists in. Everything that I had read here in the forums and on other sites explained the paths needed to be absolute -- doesn't look like that's the case at all. I suppose what I need to do is replace "\\MyServerName\Music" with ".." in my existing playlists.

  5. #5
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    38,469

    Re: Playlist stream conversion problem

    Post the contents of one of your playlists please and we will look at this.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    30

    Re: Playlist stream conversion problem

    It's very consistant -- each line starts with "\\MyServerName\Music\Local\" followed by the artist directory, album directory and track filename. The "\\MyserverName\Music\Local\" directory is set up as a music folder in Asset. The playlist is found in the "\\MyServerName\Music\Playlists\" directory, which I have set up as a playlist folder in Asset. Every track acts just like that.

    It appears the bug is that Asset doesn't recognize network paths, but instead assumes they are relative paths.

    I did change each line's "\\MyserverName\Music\Local\" to "..\Local\" and the playlists now work. But the bug is probably something you'll want to fix. I'd also rather have the absolute pathnames as well.

  7. #7
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    38,469

    Re: Playlist stream conversion problem

    Latest Asset Beta (r4) fixes this

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    30

    Re: Playlist stream conversion problem

    Awesome. Thanks. You are da man.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •