title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

ripping very slow

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GreggP
    • Feb 2011

ripping very slow

I've been using dBpoweramp CD Ripper for quite awhile and it has worked fine. Without changing any settings, I noticed CD ripping has gotten really slow. I only have one optical drive (an LG WH10LS30 BD-RE drive, which has worked flawlessly for ripping and playing CDs, DVDs and Blu-rays). A day ago, when I ripped a CD it seemed to run very quickly, I don't remember the ripping speed because it was so fast that I didn't worry about it.

However, today it is taking forever to rip a single CD. The ripping speed is typically x1.5 or x2. Like I said, I didn't make any changes to my settings (software or hardware), so I am baffled with the change in performance.

Any ideas?
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: ripping very slow

which Windows Version do you have?
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• GreggP
      • Feb 2011

Originally posted by Spoon
      which Windows Version do you have?
      Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (which didn't change from when it was running normal to the current slow performance).

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

Try ripping to 'Test Conversion', also if there is a CD which is badly scratched the CD drive signals to the system there is a problem and the system puts the CD drive into PIO mode, which in versions of Windows previous to Windows 7 would cause long term issues, but on Windows 7 it seems to clear after a while.
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• GreggP
          • Feb 2011

Originally posted by Spoon
          Try ripping to 'Test Conversion', also if there is a CD which is badly scratched the CD drive signals to the system there is a problem and the system puts the CD drive into PIO mode, which in versions of Windows previous to Windows 7 would cause long term issues, but on Windows 7 it seems to clear after a while.
          I tried using 'Test Conversion' mode and it still rips very slowly (x1.5). I also tried disabling and re-enabling the optical drive. I thought if it was in PIO mode, this might reset it, but that didn't make any difference, either.

My next step is to try another application to see if the performance is any different. I prefer dBpowerap because of the combination of secure mode and the metadata (which I have a question about, but will start a new thread).

Thanks for your help.

Comment

• GreggP
            • Feb 2011

I tried ripping a CD using J.River Media Center v15 and secure mode. JRMC was even slower. It ripped at about .9x or slower.

Is there a way to determine if my drive is in PIO mode? Is there a way to switch it back?

In 'Device Manager', under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers, I have six channels listed: ATA Channel 0 to ATA Channel 5. In the Advanced Settings tab of each channel's Properties, I noticed channels 0 - 2 have a checkbox for 'Enable DNA' and channels 3 - 5 do not have this checkbox. 'Enable DNA' is checked for the channels with this option.

Thanks again.

BTW, each of the tests have been with a new, unscratched commercial CD.
            Last edited by GreggP; 06-17-2011, 09:14 PM.

Comment

• dbfan
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Jan 2011

See

Q. My CD drive is ripping very slowly? A. Try ripping to Test Conversion (set to no speed limit), this rules out a slow encoder, an average CD drive might start at x10 and get to x25 for the last CD track (the x speed can be seen on the tool bar whilst ripping). If the speed is obviously slow, around x2 and your computer seems

Comment

Working...

]]>