title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Hdcd

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rbsound
    • May 2011

Hdcd

I've been ripping to flac with the HDCD option on. There are some CD's that are being recognized by dbpoweramp 14.1 as HDCD but there are no markings anywhere on either the CD or the insert. My questions . . .
    1. How do you confirm a CD is HDCD without using dbpoweramp?
    2. Is there any audio quality downside if a non-HDCD is recognized as an HDCD and ripped accordingly to a 24bit flac (vs. ripping it as a 16 bit flac with the HDCD option off)?

Thanks.
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Hdcd

1. Play in a HDCD compatible CD player, and the HDCD logo will light
    2. Not possible
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• rbsound
      • May 2011

Re: HDCD

On 2, when you say "not possible", do you mean . . .

A) it's not possible for dbpoweramp to incorrectly read a non-HDCD as an HDCD, or

B) it's not possible for the audio quality to be degraded if dbpoweramp did misread a disc, or

C) both of the above

Thanks.

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

A
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• rbsound
          • May 2011

Thanks. Will using the HDCD option (flac to 24 bit vs. the std 16 bit) always result in the audio quality being as good or better than if you stick with the 16 bit option (ie nothing gets lost when upscaling (not sure if that's the right term))?

Said another way, is there any reason not to check the HDCD option when ripping to flac (assuming your player can handle 24 bit files)?

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

It is safe to use HDCD all the time.
            Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• ksvane
              • Mar 2011

I also have a question... if a cd is labeled as a "24-bit remaster" but is not recognised as a hdcd, is this because the audio has been remastered in a 24 bit resolution but processed afterwards to fit the default 16 bit audio cd resolution?

Comment

• Spoon
                Administrator
                • Apr 2002

Correct, it is infact a 16 bit CD and cannot be expanded to 24 bits
                Spoon
                www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• rbsound
                  • May 2011

Another answer to my question above about quickly determining if a CD is an HDCD (not all HDCD's are labeled as such). Windows Media Player 9 or above will display the HDCD logo for such CD's.

Comment

• Owen Smith
                    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                    • Jan 2011

Originally posted by rbsound
                    Another answer to my question above about quickly determining if a CD is an HDCD (not all HDCD's are labeled as such). Windows Media Player 9 or above will display the HDCD logo for such CD's.
                    This is because Microsoft bought Pacific Microsonics and hence Microsoft now own all the rights to HDCD.

Comment

Working...

]]>