title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

FLAC Playback Occasionally Produces Hiss

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DonQ
    • Jun 2009

FLAC Playback Occasionally Produces Hiss

When streaming FLAC as FLAC from Asset UPnP to my Denon AVR-3803CI I am getting hiss on some tracks. The hiss is loader than the music, which is just loud enough to be recognized. This happens consistently on certain tracks. Other tracks consistently play correctly.

I tested FLAC as LPCM and FLAC as MP3 and got the same results. I tried all three scenarios with ReplayGain on and off. I checked the upgrade function on the configuration utility to verify I'm running the latest apps and codecs.

I tested playback on my PC using Windows Media Player and my FLAC files played correctly.

I compared the audio, tag and securities properties of files that play correctly and those that did not and could not find any differences.

I do not know when the problem started, although I know that these tracks played correctly when first ripped.

The only known change on my PC was a format of my hard drive and reinstall of Windows (7 Ultimate 32bit) and my apps on May 2nd. I was meticulous in installing all as they had been previously installed and have no reason to believe anything changed in the environment. Unfortunately, the files that play incorrectly are played by me infrequently, so I don't know that they played correctly immediately before the reinstall of Windows and software.

Once the files played correctly on WMP, I am at a loss to discover a solution. Please offer suggestions.
    Last edited by DonQ; 05-22-2011, 07:35 PM.
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: FLAC Playback Occasionally Produces Hiss

If you are streaming FLAC as LPCM, then Asset is decoding not the denon, so I do not think it is a problem with decoding (as both dbpoweramp which is Asset and the denon) produce the same results.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• DonQ
      • Jun 2009

I think I found a clue. The problem albums are 24bit and the ones that always play correctly are 16bit. What should I try as a solution?

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

Do you have dBpoweramp installed? try converting a 24 bit flac file to 24 bit wave, if Windows Media Player can play the file correctly then there should be no issue for Asset to decode the file and send as lpcm.
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• DonQ
          • Jun 2009

The 24 bit wave worked fine, although three tracks converted without their metadata. Thanks for walking me through this.

I decided to perform another test of the FLAC as WAV. This time the 24bit FLAC played correctly even with the ReplayGain enabled so I can keep my albums as compressed lossless. I don't know why it didn't work a few days ago.

What is the difference between FLAC as LPCM and FLAC as WAV? I thought WAV was the same as LPCM.

Comment

• dbfan
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Jan 2011

Wave and LPCM are very similar, different header and byte swapped

Comment

Working...

]]>