title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

DVD or Blu Ray Drive for CD ripping?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Milo Tweenie
    • Dec 2009

DVD or Blu Ray Drive for CD ripping?

I'm looking to buy a high quality drive to replace a cheap Samsung that's just died. It will only be used for ripping CDs.

Looking at the latest drive accuracy list is interesting, but it seems that many of the drives are no longer available. I guess it's inevitable that the list will always lag behind current drives. However, Plextor seem top of the pile.

Looking at Plextor's website they do Blu Ray and DVD drives, both of which will read CDs. Which would be the better CD ripper? Are Blu Ray drives inherently more accurate than DVD drives or would I just be paying for capabilities that are not relevant to ripping CDs?

Any one's experience would be really helpful. Many thanks.
  • EliC
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2004

Re: DVD or Blu Ray Drive for CD ripping?

All the plextor drives currently sold are not actually made by plextor and no longer have the benefits of the old plextors. They are now drive manufactured by other companies with the plextor name and a higher price.

Comment

• hmasoni
      • Feb 2011

This is a very interesting question - blu-ray or not - but response doesnt answer! i am currently planning to purchase a dedicated laptop pc for ripping cds using dBpoweramp exclusively. I'm interested in the Toshiba M640 series. Should i get a Blu-ray drive (won't be using it to watch movies)? Is it a good machine to run dBpoweramp? Does it support C2 Pointers? is the i3 2.53 Ghz processor and 4 GB RAM sufficient to run dBPoweramp? can't find these answers anywhere.

Thanks for your response!:

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

An i3 is plenty enough for dBpoweramp
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>