title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

WMA 9 win95

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • StevenW
    • Jun 2003

WMA 9 win95

Hello all am a first-timer here at the forums. I am setting up a PC for my mom running Win95 OSR2. I setup dbpoweramp and attempted to install the Winows Media Audio 9 system codecs and discovered that they aren't intended for Win95 users. First of all I think this need to be clearly stated at Codec Central. So I decided to just install the WMA v8 codec. All well and good. Well being the curious type I discovered that the file wmadmoe.dll is at least partially responsible for creating WMA file in dbpoweramp. I replaced the version in my system folder with version 9.00.00.2980, used the regsvr32.exe to unregister and reregister the file and all succeeded. I installed the WMA v9 codec version 1.3 and it didn't work. Later when I converted a WAV file to WMA using version 8 and played it back, Windows Media Player reported that it is a Windows Media version 9 audio file.

I am reporting this for two reasons first as stated above I think that the file db-wmfdist-wma9.exe needs to be labeled not for Win95. Second I would like to see a V9 codec for Win95 users.

Some info that may be important:

Using Win 95 OSR 2.

Installed WMP 7.1 using directions at:

Also found a way to make the WM9Codecs.exe from MS to install on a 95 system(If you want that info let me know)

Thanks for your time!!!

SW
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Noted.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• StevenW
      • Jun 2003

Just to let you know after restarting computer and using dbpoweramp the options as to what bit rate/frequency to use when converting to WMA have changed. I now have a maximum bit rate of 48 Kbps and minimum of 5 kbps which is cool with me the only thing I use this for is to convert a WAV file that I record to stick in email.

Comment

Working...

]]>