title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Multi Encoder and Replay Gain

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • anleva
    • Jul 2007

Multi Encoder and Replay Gain

I am using the Multi Encoder in the CD Ripper. I have it set up for two encoders, FLAC and MP3. For each of those in settings I have added the ReplayGain DSP and checked "calculate track gain" and "calculate album gain".

The rip does everything I expect and both FLAC and MP3 files are created in their respective directories. THey are all properly tagged with one exception. AlbumGain tags are not created. TrackGain tags are, but no AlbumGain. So I end up having to run ReplayGain on both the FLAC files and MP3 files to get them properly tagged with both TrackGain and AlbumGain.

Have I configured this improperly? Why aren't AlbumGain tags being calculated and created during the initial rip?
  • biggles
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Jul 2010

Re: Multi Encoder and Replay Gain

You've already done what is recommended by the developer - run Replaygain after ripping. Sometimes this even works, if you only have a few files to do. Many of us gave up trying to get Album Replaygain tags reliably from dBpoweramp. - too many "gotchas" for album gains, too little feedback when album gains don't write as you want. I recommend you use Foobar to create Replaygain tags - it always works, and good feedback. Just make sure you select "compatibility mode" (preferences>advanced>tagging>mp3) for writing tags in Foobar if you want ID3v2.3 tags that can be read by other applications.
    Last edited by biggles; 12-31-2010, 01:40 AM.

Comment

• Spoon
      Administrator
      • Apr 2002

After running the conversion use Batch converter >> Convert just the Flac >> [Calculate Replay Gain] (the utility codec), this is the same as doing it in FB (which is a separate step also).
      Spoon
      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• biggles
        dBpoweramp Enthusiast
        • Jul 2010

With all due respect (which is considerable - your products are the best in the business and you provide great support), Foobar doesn't fail to write all Album gains for batch sizes greater than about 200 files. Only if you disable all file security, then will dBpoweramp work reliably for Album gains. Foobar writes the Album tags to files as each album is processed, avoiding the issue that requires security disablement.
        Last edited by biggles; 12-31-2010, 02:44 PM.

Comment

• anleva
          • Jul 2007

Thanks for the replies.

My main interest is being able to do it all at once, at the initial rip and conversion. I am certainly able to add another step and either use batch conversion or use the "convert to" function in file manager and select the ReplyGain utility codec to properly obtain both track and album gain values.

However that defeats the purpose of what I am trying to do. That is to use the multi encoder function at rip to properly rip, convert to flac AND mp3 AND tag in one step (including track and album gain replaygain values). Adding another step gets me no farther than where I was before, that is needing to add another step to the process. Was looking to simplify using the multiencoder but it doesn't appear it allows me to ultimately eliminate a step.

Comment

Working...

]]>