title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Unexplained halts in streaming with Naim UnitiQute

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • philw
    • Dec 2010

Unexplained halts in streaming with Naim UnitiQute

I'm streaming FLAC from the Asset uPnP server running on Windows 7, 64-bit, all latest versions of everything, and it's precisely what I need.

However I'm seeing that the player will abruptly stop every now and again, with no particular pattern or common feature. I've tried a multitude of different files (all flac), and a couple of different network sources (cat 5 and wifi), all make no difference.

It seems to be random. The player is fine with WMP's uPnP (but of course no flac there), and it also works with Twonky flac without the same problem. According to Naim it should work fine.

I prefer the Asset uPnP as it has a number of features (directory flexibility, ability to filter out stuff I don't want to stream, simplicity) which I like. So I'd like to get this working.

I don't think this is a known issue as I can't find it here, although the search is really hard with those captchas.

experiments
    I turned on the logging but can see no error messages which look likely... below is what I think is the relevant part of the debug log. In this case the track I chose played for 2:13 before just stopping. There doesn't seem to be anything in the log after the play request; the streaming halts but nothing's written then.

I can restart playing, not with "play/ pause", but with back/ next. That is logged as another request for the file from the player (identical to this 1st request below). In this experiment, after the restart the track played all the way through with no problems.

Using the fairly dumb Windows 7 network monitoring I can see what are probably "bursty" requests for chunks of the media from the back to the uPnP server every few seconds. When the streaming stops, naturally the network activity stops... but I can't tell which end is failing to respond. In this specific case on my second attempt the 1st track streamed all the way, and track 2 stopped after 1:02. There's a little network "blip" every minute or so on the trace which is presumably the server or the player trying to handshake. I can monitor these more precisely using other tools if that would help.

A third test (press "back", then "play" to play track 1 again after the second hang). Plays for 1:29 and then the same issue. There's a gap in the network trace just at that point, then a little spike, then a second bigger one, then it flat-lines. Someone's timing out or missing something and not logging it..

I've plenty of cpus and there's no obvious load issue on the serving PC. I am using maximally compressed flac, but the PC barely wakes up whilst playing it or streaming it.

I guess I can try streaming mp3 instead of flac to see if that helps, but it doesn't help me much as it's flac that I want to listen to. I temporarily disabled my firewall so it's not that, although if it gets through to play in the first place it is unlikely to be the issue.

I'm currently running the evaluation version: is there a limit in that perhaps which I'm hitting? I'll buy it, but I need to know it works first!

Does anyone have any ideas?

Code:
     NumberReturned: 12 TotalMatches: 12 UpdateId: 79
    ===========ProcessFileRequest================
    /content/c2/b16/f44100/d2761-co47.flac
    =============================================

Content Range: 0 to -1

Serving File as is: M:\music\Bruce Springsteen\Born In The U.S.A\01 Bruce Springsteen - Born In The U.S.A.flac

Serve Entity Set to: audio/x-flac
    Last edited by philw; 12-04-2010, 01:18 PM. Reason: Add firewall and license note
  • philw
    • Dec 2010

Re: Unexplained halts in streaming with Naim UnitiQute

Well I cold-booted the whole system today, and now it's working perfectly.

So here for the record is what seemed to happen.
    1. After 24 hours or so of intensive use, Asset uPnP stopped serving tracks as described above.
    2. Other media players (WMP, Twonky) did not suffer from the same symptom.
    3. Rebooting the server PC didn't make any difference.
    4. Rebooting the Naim didn't make any difference.
    5. Rebooting the router caused the problem to go away.

Summary:
    My router ran out of heap or something similar. If it does it again I'll buy a new one (this is the one supplied by the ISP for free, they're very common but obviously also very cheap).

Asset remains the only uPnP server I can find which allows me to stream only FLAC and also customize the menu. I'm glad I can continue to use it!

Comment

Working...

]]>