title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Suttering Audio with PS3

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • microUgly
    • Nov 2010

Suttering Audio with PS3

I just tried Asset UPnP for the first time with my PS3 and every few seconds the audio would start and stop. Is there a way to fix this?

Until now I had been using TVersity. It had had a similiar issue but changing an audio setting on the PS3 corrected it (something about kbps I think). TVersity currently works whilst Asset does not.
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Suttering Audio with PS3

What was the exact change? if you were streaming lossless, but had to encode as mp3 with a lower bitrate that would explain why one can stream and one cannot.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• microUgly
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Spoon
      What was the exact change?
      It was the Output Frequency. By default the PS3 has it set to 44.1/88.2/176.4 kHz but to fix stuttering in TVersity I changed it to 48 kHz.

However, I just changed it back to 44.1/88.2/176.4 kHz to see how it effected Asset and the pause become noticeably longer.

if you were streaming lossless, but had to encode as mp3 with a lower bitrate that would explain why one can stream and one cannot.
      I should have said, I'm streaming MP3s. Both TVersity and Asset are streaming the same files. They are all encoded with LAME at V1 quality.

I'm streaming them from a NAS attached to my PC over a gigabit LAN whilst the PS3 has a wireless connection. I'm confident it's not a bandwidth issue because I can stream SD and some HD videos ok over the same link.

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

The next update to Asset (R3.1 beta) which should be out in around 3-4 weeks might help this issue.
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• microUgly
          • Nov 2010

Thanks for informing me there might be a fix.

In the meantime, I've noticed that Asset is not delivering the MP3s. Instead the PS3 is saying the codec is Linear PCM 16bit.

Each track is a few tens of MB, which should stream fine over wireless (I can watch DVD VOBs fine over the same connection), but is there a way I can force Asset to deliver the MP3 tracks untouched?

Note that I don't have ReplayGain enabled (which I believe forces the tracks to be delivered as WAV) and MP3 streaming is set to "As Is". When copying a track to the PS3, it takes about 5 times longer than I would expect a regular file of the same size to copy across, which explains the skipping.
          Last edited by microUgly; 12-02-2010, 07:35 AM. Reason: Added more detail

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

>but is there a way I can force Asset to deliver the MP3 tracks untouched?

Yes, sorry for not thinking about this - when trying various mp3s with the PS3 it was determined that the mp3 decoder in the PS3 would not play all mp3s...so by default asset uncompresses them. To leave them as they are:

Asset Configuration >> Edit >> General Settings (Settings override >> edit override values) and remove the lines:

=PLAYSTATION 3
            [ForceToWAVE]

Then restart your computer.
            Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• microUgly
              • Nov 2010

Now the tracks don't play at all But they are listed fine and the album art displays. These same tracks play fine via TVersity, however--so I have no reason to suspect the tracks are incompatible with the PS3.

Comparing the information the PS3 sees about a track via Asset and TVersity, I see that Asset reports the codec is "MP3 209kbps" whilst TVersity reports the same track to be "MP3 32kbps".

Comment

• Spoon
                Administrator
                • Apr 2002

Are you sure they are 32kbps? that is a very low bit rate.
                Spoon
                www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• microUgly
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Spoon
                  Are you sure they are 32kbps? that is a very low bit rate.
                  No, they're not 32kbps. They are variable. Your number would be more accurate. But it's the only difference I was able to see.

I'm stuck in a situation where WAV are produced to slowly to be playable, and MP3s don't play at all :(

Comment

• bubbleguuum
                    • Apr 2009

Originally posted by microUgly
                    I just tried Asset UPnP for the first time with my PS3 and every few seconds the audio would start and stop. Is there a way to fix this?

Until now I had been using TVersity. It had had a similiar issue but changing an audio setting on the PS3 corrected it (something about kbps I think). TVersity currently works whilst Asset does not.

Is your Asset server running on Windows XP ?

Comment

• microUgly
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by bubbleguuum
                      Is your Asset server running on Windows XP ?
                      No, I'm runnig Windows 7.

Comment

• microUgly
                        • Nov 2010

It's playing now... it has me beat why. I didn't change anything.

Comment

Working...

]]>