title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Flac glitches/skips/drop outs.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • miwsig
    • Nov 2010

Flac glitches/skips/drop outs.

Listening back to some ripped FLAC tracks I hear glitches and big obvious skips/drop outs.
    I rip to WAV and FLAC at same time (multi encoder), and FLAC is with verify box checked.
    WAV tracks do not have same problems at same places as in FLAC tracks.
    Ripping straight to external hard drive (USB)

So what exactly is being verified with FLAC if there are errors?

Any advice?

I have also had this problem with other ripping set ups - EAC.

(If it was up to me I'd just as well stick to all WAV - storage is getting cheaper by the day. Only I understand that tags are not good on WAV. (although tags seem to be geek central but that is another matter . . . )
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Flac glitches/skips/drop outs.

Possibly it is your player which is at fault. Install:

http://codecs.dbpoweramp.com/codecs-...oweramp-Codec-[Calculate%20Audio%20CRC].exe

Then convert both the FLAC and the Wave files to [Calculate CRC] if the number is the same then the audio is identical.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• miwsig
      • Nov 2010

Many thanks for your prompt reply.

I have converted both the FLAC and the Wave files to [Calculate CRC] as instructed - 11 tracks in all from album. All WAV OK (to be expected, I presume), however error message on two of the FLAC tracks. CRC matched up on remaning 9 WAV & FLAC tracks.

Errors:

D7D099EC 36778AB7 ** Decode Error ** E:\DB 16-11-10 Ymlaen FLAC\Burning Spear\Burning Spear - Come.flac

356CC4E3 D6E81C27 ** Decode Error ** E:\DB 16-11-10 Ymlaen FLAC\Burning Spear\Burning Spear - Marcus Senior.flac

Error converting to [Calculate Audio CRC], 'E:\DB 16-11-10 Ymlaen FLAC\Burning Spear\Burning Spear - Come.flac' to 'E:\DB 16-11-10 Ymlaen FLAC\Burning Spear\Burning Spear - Come.IGNORE'
      Encountered 'FLAC__STREAM_DECODER_READ_FRAME' in FLAC File 'E:\DB 16-11-10 Ymlaen FLAC\Burning Spear\Burning Spear - Come.flac'

Error converting to [Calculate Audio CRC], 'E:\DB 16-11-10 Ymlaen FLAC\Burning Spear\Burning Spear - Marcus Senior.flac' to 'E:\DB 16-11-10 Ymlaen FLAC\Burning Spear\Burning Spear - Marcus Senior.IGNORE'
      md5 did not match decoded data, file is corrupt.
      Last edited by miwsig; 11-18-2010, 08:23 PM.

Comment

• miwsig
        • Nov 2010

1. Listened to 'failed' rips/conversions to CRC and they seem OK

2. I have repeated conversions - if I keep at it and do them a few times eventually they are OK - which is a bit random really for lossless.

3. Does that mean problem is intermittent in various codecs - or is it related to something else in computer. Hence therefore fairly 'random' problems on playback via various players (Winamp, Foobar, Media Monkey) (I presume they are not all picking up flac.exe, and that players have their own codecs).

Many thanks.

Comment

• Spoon
          Administrator
          • Apr 2002

Hardware problem, perhaps failing HDD, bad memory, overheating CPU.
          Spoon
          www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• miwsig
            • Nov 2010

Many thanks for your assistance.

Comment

Working...

]]>