title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Different Results w/ C2 Drive

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fdoneit
    • Nov 2010

Different Results w/ C2 Drive

I am having a difficult time understanding the optimal dBpoweramp setup for my particular drive (TSSTcorp - DVD+-RW TS-H653G). I am using Reference R14 on a Windows 7 64-bit machine. The CD drive supports C2 but i'm unsure how well. I'm also unsure whether or not the drive supports caching, so I've left the drive read cache at 1024 KB.

I have followed the setup guide and have been doing some test rips with some differences in the settings to try and find what seems to work the best based on my uncertainty with C2.

I'm going to describe 2 separate rips using the same CD with different settings:

Rip 1:
    C2 Error pointers for error detection checked on
    ultra secure checked
    -minimum ultra passes 1
    -maximum ultra passes 2
    -end after clean passes 1
    -maximum re-reads 50

Rip 2:
    C2 Error pointers for error detection NOT checked
    ultra secure checked
    -minimum ultra passes 2
    -maximum ultra passes 4
    -end after clean passes 2
    -maximum re-reads 34

On Rip 1 - the rip status for 2 of the 10 tracks is: X AR(9) X Insecure. The other 8 tracks are Accurate as per the Accuraterip database.

On Rip 2 - the rip status for 1 of the 10 tracks is: X AR(9) checkmark Secure. One of tracks is: X AR(9) i Secure. The other 8 tracks are Accurate as per the Accuraterip database.

So my question is why am I getting insecure errors on Rip1 using C2 but not on Rip2 with C2 turned off?

And on Rip2 I don't understand the difference in rip status between: X AR(9) checkmark Secure and X AR(9) i Secure. Can anyone explain this to me? I am a newbie and am trying to get started.

Thanks and sorry for the long post.

F
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Different Results w/ C2 Drive

You would have to run the test with Rip 1 and Rip 2 another 4 times to draw any conclusion.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• fdoneit
      • Nov 2010

Okay, I ran the tests another 4 times and got the same results as described above. Not sure how to proceed.

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

As there is a confidence of 9 you can be sure if one track miss-matches AccurateRip then there is an error. With c2 pointers on, this error is being detected, with it switched off the drive has a consistent error (where the error is read twice the same), the CD drive is unable to tell if there is an error or not.
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• fdoneit
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Spoon
          As there is a confidence of 9 you can be sure if one track miss-matches AccurateRip then there is an error.
          So the higher the confidence number, when a ripped track does not match the AccurateRip database, means that there is a greater chance of having errors, even though it is marked as secure?

Originally posted by Spoon
          With it (c2 pointers) switched off the drive has a consistent error (where the error is read twice the same), the CD drive is unable to tell if there is an error or not.
          Wouldn't this suggest that it would be impossible to verify the accuracy of a ripped CD not in the AccurateRip database (because errors are being read twice)?

I'm also still unsure of what the difference in rip status between: X AR(9) checkmark Secure and X AR(8) i Secure. See screenshot. Could you clarify this?

Thanks Spoon.

Comment

• EliC
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • May 2004

Check means no errors where detected

I means errors where detected, but possibly corrected (or consistent errors slipped through)
            Last edited by EliC; 11-09-2010, 07:24 PM.

Comment

• fdoneit
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by EliC
              Check means no errors where detected

I means errors where detected, but possibly corrected (or consistent errors slipped through)
              Thanks EliC; however, if I am reading Spoon's post above correctly, I believe he is saying that with both instances (the checks and the i) there is a very high liklihood that the rips contain errors based on the illustrated settings... No?

Thanks.

Comment

• EliC
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • May 2004

Correct. You are experiencing consistent errors. Errors that give the same result on each re-read. C2 may detect these.

Comment

• fdoneit
                  • Nov 2010

Thanks EliC. Would you try to clarify these last two items?

Is it correct that the higher the confidence number, when a ripped track does not match the AccurateRip database, means that there is a greater chance of having errors, even though it is marked secure?

Is it impossible to verify the accuracy of ripped tracks not in the AccurateRip database with a drive incapable of reading c2 errors (because errors are being read twice)?

Thanks!

Comment

• Spoon
                    Administrator
                    • Apr 2002

You only need a confidence of 3 or more, with 1 or 2 you cannot be 100% sure your rip had the errors, or the other guys (this is when results disagree, if results agree only a confidence of 1 is needed).
                    Spoon
                    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• EliC
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • May 2004

Originally posted by fdoneit

Is it impossible to verify the accuracy of ripped tracks not in the AccurateRip database with a drive incapable of reading c2 errors (because errors are being read twice)?
                      Yes. You could re-rip the disc in a second, and different type, drive. Even C2 is not a guarantee.

Comment

Working...

]]>