title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Naming issues when ripping compilations...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bones
    • Dec 2009

Naming issues when ripping compilations...

I am trying to rip the O Brother Where Art Thou? soundtrack and the CD Ripper is creating a separate folder for each artist instead of putting all of the ripped tracks in the same folder under the album title.

I would like for the folder structure to go something like this:

Various Artists > O Brother Where Art Thou? > Artist Name - Song Title

It sounds simple right? I have tried every combination and I can't seem to get it right. Anyone know how to do it?

I am using the full (reference) version of the program if that helps.
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Naming issues when ripping compilations...

Check the Compilation button.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Bones
      • Dec 2009

It is checked. It checks itself automatically when when the program loads the meta data. Do you mean to uncheck it?

Comment

• garym
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Bones
        It is checked. It checks itself automatically when when the program loads the meta data. Do you mean to uncheck it?
        hmm, must be your dynamic naming string. I'm away from home, but I'll try to post a good string for this tomorrow....

Edit: See these links for examples. You do need the reference version to do dynamic naming. But it can automatically put your files in any structure you want when ripping.

How do I get the Compilation albums to show up correctly when I rip them? I want them in like a VA Folder, with the Compilation Title Folder in that and then all songs just in the normal compilation title folder. Thanks!

Hi, First of all I've just started using dbPoweramp and I love it! Normally when I rip a Compilation CD I set the Artist to 'Compilation', the album to 'Now that's what I call..' and the track name to a combination of the Artist and Track name eg: 'Madonna - Holiday' This is so I can keep my compilations neatly all in one

I'm trying to have my rips save to a subdirectory called "compilations" instead of "various artists" when ripping a compilation disk. The metadata shows "various artists" when ripping with the correct individual artists for each track, and the resulting rip using the following setting puts the
        Last edited by garym; 06-20-2010, 08:06 PM.

Comment

• Spoon
          Administrator
          • Apr 2002

It should be checked, also make sure your naming value is the default one for CD Ripper (there is a default button).
          Spoon
          www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Bones
            • Dec 2009

Spoon: Is the default button in the individual encoder settings somewhere or on the main page? I'm not seeing it. I'm using multi and ripping to WAV and MP3.

Garym: Where would I enter that string in the first link you posted?

Comment

• Spoon
              Administrator
              • Apr 2002

You should select another encoder such as FLAC (in CD Ripper) to see what its naming string is.
              Spoon
              www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Bones
                • Dec 2009

I opened up FLAC and looked at what the default naming string was and then used it in both my MP3 and WAV encoders. Upon ripping the CD it still created an individual folder for each artist in my respective MP3 and WAV folders but this time in addition it created another folder called Compilation with the album in it containing all of the songs.

Here are the full setup details of what's on the main page of the CD Ripper:

Artist: <Various Artists>
                Album: O Brother, Where Art Thou?
                Genre: Soundtrack
                Year: 2000
                Disc: 1/1
                Compilation: "checked"
                Album Artist: "blank"
                Composer: <Various Composers>
                Comment: "blank"

The output location in the encoders are set up like this:

[artist]\[artist] - [title]

Edit: What do these characters do in the Artist field < > ?

It's a real head scratcher for sure but I'm confident there is a solution.
                Last edited by Bones; 06-20-2010, 11:42 PM.

Comment

• Spoon
                  Administrator
                  • Apr 2002

The output location for the multi-encoder items needs to be:

[IFCOMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],Various Artists[]\[album]\[track] [artist][][IF!COMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[artist][]\[album]\[artist] - [track][] - [title]
                  Spoon
                  www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• garym
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Bones
                    Garym: Where would I enter that string in the first link you posted?
                    lower left hand corner of ripping screen in the "naming" field.

Comment

• Bones
                      • Dec 2009

Spoon my man, you rock. I tried it and it worked great. Everything is in the correct folder and I saved the setup as my "Compilation" profile. Thanks again for taking the time to help me get it sorted out, it is very much appreciated.

Comment

Working...

]]>