title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Reference Version and Multi CPU Core Usage?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stu1010
    • Jun 2010

Reference Version and Multi CPU Core Usage?

Hello

First of all, I think this is a superb piece of software. As a bit of an obsessive audiophile, I am very impressed with the results of the flac rips this has produced.
    So much so I have bought the reference version.

Only issue I appear to be having is that it does not seem to be using all the CPU cores when it encodes rips to flac. As with the free trial version, it just states which one of the cores it is encoding to – I understand from the list of features for the reference version that it is uses all the CPU cores(?)

I did uninstall the free version and then installed the reference version.

CPU if need to know is an I7 930, am running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit.

Hope you can help..

Cheers
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Reference Version and Multi CPU Core Usage?

Encoding from which format?
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Stu1010
      • Jun 2010

Originally posted by Spoon
      Encoding from which format?
      Hi Spoon...

I'm ripping CDs to flac; the "issue" is at the point when the ripper finishes ripping a CD track, and then states it is "encoding", and advises of the CPU core it is using (ie - CPU1 or CPU2 etc)...

I understood (maybe wrongly? :o ) that the reference version i've installed used all cores?

Cheers

Stu

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

The encoding of FLAC takes only a fraction of CPU time, the slow part is reading the CD from the drive. So it will never get past 2 cores.
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• ortuno2k
          • Jun 2010

First post! Thanks for the great software, Spoon!

Anyways - I have been using the trial version for a few weeks (work and Boot Camp on Mac), and never paid attention about the multi-core feature, since my PC at work is an older P4 with HT (no dual core).
          Having recently built a Phenom II X4 system for home, I did pay attention to the core usage, and noticed that the four cores weren't being utilized when encoding from CD to Flac or CD to ALAC, and now I see why.
          The encoding happens SO FAST (1.5-2.5 secs), that there is NO NEED for the other cores to even bother..
          I guess the other cores would become active if you were ripping a long track, like a one-track CD, or something that would put a little more load on the CPU.
          My .02!
          Last edited by ortuno2k; 06-17-2010, 08:59 PM.

Comment

Working...

]]>