title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Hello and a curiosity

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Edu Camargo
    • May 2009

Hello and a curiosity

I forgot I've created a forum account. Hi to everyone. Greetings from Brazil.

I couldn't find a suitable section to post this curiosity, so in case the moderator thinks this subject is illegal for this section, please move it to an appropriate section.

I used to rip my colection of CDs to FLAC using Foobar2000, until I've started to use DMC for this purpose. Not just that, is interesting how it migrates things from one format to another, without any missing data. Really, no ripper, not even EAC, beats this. Full metadata capabilities + secure extraction are priceless.

I've noticed one thing, though:

I've ripped some CDs with DB, and in one ocasion I had to open it in Sound Forge 9, since it supports FLAC now. But I found that with the FLACs created with DMC, Sound Forge doesn't recognize metadata. I've made some tests with some albums I've ripped with Foobar, and Sound Forge read them correctly.

Course, I wouldn't use Sound Forge to play audio regularly, but I found it very curious. May it have something to do with the comments being written as first or last block, or something similar? Neither Foobar nor MP3tag had problems on displaying tags.;

Thanks in advance for any clu. In case someone needs some examples of files, please let me know.

Congratulations for such a great audio suite. It would be great if this could gain a cross-platform status, so in case someone decides to use another OS, they could take DMC with him/her. Anyway, thanks and congratulations for such great contribution.

Best,

Edu.
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Hello and a curiosity

It might be the embedded album art which sound forge cannot handle. Try create a flac file with no album art.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Edu Camargo
      • May 2009

Spoon,

Thanks a lot for your fast response. It's really a nice thing when you see a developer of such a huge project, active, helping people with a lot of issues, releasing fixes and sharing with the people with speed. I've been reading a lot in this forum and, really, it is worth lots of standing ovations. Thanks and congratulations.

Well, back to the thread, You've mentioned about the album art feature... The funny thing is that when I used to rip with foobar, MP3Tag was my cover agregator after each rip, and even with the album art embedded Sound Forge reads the tags.

But I'll try your suggestion. But something tells me that sound forge sounds kinda buggy with FLAC metadata?

Again, thanks for your input.

Peace,

Edu.

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

A simple test is to copy a flac file that does not load, right click on it >> Edit ID Tags >> then click 'clear' >> Ok and see if that file will load.
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Edu Camargo
          • May 2009

Hey, I found the bug

The problem is that Sound Forge recognizes FLAC metadata only in upper case.

Before I came to this conclusion, I've made a ripping test using EAC, by changing FLAC parameters, and I put the fields just like this: -T "Artist=%a" -T "Album=%l"... etc.

Then I've opened this test file in Sound Forge and I got the same result I'd have in dBpoweramp. I've done another test putting the same fields all in Upper case and all worked for the little Sony program.

Today I just bought a CD and ripped with dBpoweramp. Here I still have the FLAC official tools installed, so I've checked one of the files ripped by dBpoweramp with Metaflac. Then I found that dBpoweramp uses the same capitalization for VorbisComments I've used in EAC, except for the Album Artist comment which is written in uppercase.

I found this very strange, because Sound Forge reads Windows Media Audio and all the WMA/ASF frames are written this way: WM/AlbumTitle, WM/TrackNumber, etc.

Once again, thanks for all the input, Spoon.

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

You might want to point out the bug to Sound Forge as Vorbis comments are not case specific.
            Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• orbatome
              • Nov 2009

Originally posted by Spoon
              You might want to point out the bug to Sound Forge as Vorbis comments are not case specific.
              Concerning the "comment" tag:
              For some reason it seems that info written into the comment tag when ripping using dMC v13.x becomes invisible when viewing tagsinfo in other applications, such as Mediamonkey and the excellent Tagscanner. When right-clicking & using "Edit ID-Tag", the info is clearly there, in the "Comment" tag, it just seems that the tag becomes unreadable in apps such as those mentioned. When editing/inserting info into the comment tag in one of those apps and saving, the info is there upon reopening the file in both MediaMonkey and Tagscanner. When right-click-viewing the edited file using "Edit ID - Tag", the "Comment" tag is replaced by a "COMMENT" tag (which is viewable in all applications mentioned). As I have a lot of FLAC and ALAC-files ripped with dBpoweramp CD-ripper, extensively making use of the Comment Tag, it would be nice to be able to view this info in other tag- and Music Management tools, not just in dBpoweramps "Edit ID - Tag" tool. Spoon, Is this a bug in how dMC writes the comment tag to the file, or, if not - is there a way to still view this info in those other tools, as well as in iTunes? Maybe there could be a way to run a batch-process app on all dMC Comment-tagged files in order to make the "Comment" tag compatible? A fix would be much appreciated!

Best regards

Comment

• Edu Camargo
                • May 2009

Originally posted by orbatome
                Concerning the "comment" tag:
                For some reason it seems that info written into the comment tag when ripping using dMC v13.x becomes invisible when viewing tagsinfo in other applications, such as Mediamonkey and the excellent Tagscanner. When right-clicking & using "Edit ID-Tag", the info is clearly there, in the "Comment" tag, it just seems that the tag becomes unreadable in apps such as those mentioned. When editing/inserting info into the comment tag in one of those apps and saving, the info is there upon reopening the file in both MediaMonkey and Tagscanner. When right-click-viewing the edited file using "Edit ID - Tag", the "Comment" tag is replaced by a "COMMENT" tag (which is viewable in all applications mentioned). As I have a lot of FLAC and ALAC-files ripped with dBpoweramp CD-ripper, extensively making use of the Comment Tag, it would be nice to be able to view this info in other tag- and Music Management tools, not just in dBpoweramps "Edit ID - Tag" tool. Spoon, Is this a bug in how dMC writes the comment tag to the file, or, if not - is there a way to still view this info in those other tools, as well as in iTunes? Maybe there could be a way to run a batch-process app on all dMC Comment-tagged files in order to make the "Comment" tag compatible? A fix would be much appreciated!

Best regards
                If the files are FLAC, check in DBpoweramp's configuration|codecs|advanced options. Scroll to the FLAC area and see if the comment is mapped to "Description" (which is actually in the Vorbis tagging specifications). If this is the case, set the option to "Leave as comment". some apps still use comment for vorbis and flac files.

Hth.

Edu.

Comment

Working...

]]>