title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Manual Naming

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • marccunn
    • Jul 2009

Manual Naming

Hello All:

I have Reference R12, and I am using the CD Ripper to rip tracks from a classical CD into .flac.

The files come out fantastic, and the sound quality is great!

Unfortunately, it is the automatic file naming preset into the CD Ripper that is giving me great problems.

I want to turn off automatic naming completely, for several reasons.

First, all the track names are truncated to about 50 characters.

I tried using [SETLEN]14,,65....but that di not change the 50-character length.

Second, strange numbers appear in front of each track, rather than the track number like "2645AlsoSprachZ....", instead of "01_Also-Sprach-Z....".

Third, and worst of all, when I double click on the tack name in my computer to just change the name manually, I cannot get past the 50-character limit.

I get to the 50th character, and my computer refuses to go any further, and I keep getting that awful thunking "Failure" beep sound whenever I try to type past the 50th character.

This is most frustrating.

I do my own manual naming of my classical tracks anyway, since the freebd, AMG and allmusic databases either always have errors, or sometimes they cannot find any info about the very CD I am holding in my hand.

Thus, I actually prefer to do my own manual naming of tracks, and I don't want to spend a lot of time massaging strings of gobbledy-gook scripts, tyring to get all the info I want, in the exact order I want.

Please let me know what switches turn off the preset naming scheme and 50-character limitation in the CD Ripper.

Thanks in advance for your consideration!

Marc
  • sredmyer
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • May 2008

Re: Manual Naming

There is no 50 character limit. The limit is 255 (or is it 256) characters and it is imposed by the OS (not dbp). But...and this is the gotcha here...that 255 character count includes the entire path. If you want to lengthen the file name portion of the path move your files to a location with a shorter path.

For example, in following file name the character count is 108
    C:\Documents and Settings\steve\My Documents\My Music\3 Doors Down\Away from the Sun\01 - When I'm Gone.flac

If I needed to shorten this I might, for instance, move the file as shown below which would change the character count to 63
    C:\Music\3 Doors Down\Away from the Sun\01 - When I'm Gone.flac

Hope this helps

Comment

• spuddler
      • Mar 2008

Re: Manual Naming

Hi,nice tip.Mine is fairly short as it is,but will try to shorten even more,even if its a couple of characters.
      Its one simple thing that should have crossed my mind,but it didn't DOH.

Cheers BOB
      Last edited by spuddler; 11-02-2009, 04:56 AM.

Comment

Working...

]]>