title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Newbie Question re: Secure rip

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PaulDF
    • Sep 2009

Newbie Question re: Secure rip

Hi All,
    I'm ripping my entire cd collection (300+) using the 'Secure' attribute. Some album rip fast (2-3 min max) even with 3x+ checking, others much slower and give a list of statuses while doing so. What are all those status indications and why do some albums require it and others not? These are not 'damaged' cds in any way - very well taken care of, so I don't think the system is having to 'recreate' bad tracks. Some CDs that were already copied for me by someone else take longer and that kinda makes some sense since they are no longer in their exact original format. Some just seem to take longer if AccuRip can't find others input to compare to (old, esoteric cds). But I just ripped an AC/DC album (original CD) and it took longer than many others. The 'Rip Status' area shows a sequence like the following:

Queued, Encoding, Secure, Ultra-Secure, Re-Ripping, Frames (backward from 60+ to zero)

or sometimes it ends up like:

X AR (44) 'Checkmark'* Secure

* couldn't do the checkmark with this keyboard.

So what does this all mean, and where should I have gone to find out about all these parameters and status indicators in the first place instead of bugging you???

Thanks,

PF
  • EliC
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2004

Re: Newbie Question re: Secure rip

Comment

• PaulDF
      • Sep 2009

EliC - I see you're a man of few words and lots of links! The first was helpful and I'm surprised I missed that page - shame on me. As to at least one of my questions though - if AccuRip doesn't have other data to compare a file to does that slow the rip down? If it doesn't, then why the slow down on an otherwise pristine CD?

Comment

• Tigerman
        dBpoweramp Enthusiast
        • Mar 2005

If there's no data, then the cd is ripped twice and the checksums are compared. If they match, then you have a secure rip, otherwise insecure.

Comment

• EliC
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • May 2004

here are the details on how secure ripping works:

Comment

Working...

]]>