title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

CD ripper freezes computer

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DBrim
    • Jun 2009

CD ripper freezes computer

Hi,

I just got a new computer (Dell Studio XPS 13), and I'm trying to use dbpoweramp to rip CDs.

I ripped one CD successfully last night. Now, whenever I try to rip a CD in any format, my computer locks up, and only a hard reboot will work. It happens within a few seconds (max it has gone has been 40).

I also had these issues when I was trying to configure EAC (I thought maybe dbpoweramp had 64 bit issues), but alas, the same issue in that program, too.

All of my CD firmware and BIOS information are up to date. Dell insists that it isn't this, because windows media player rips CDs just fine.

I'm at a loss, and this is super critical because I rip CDs all the time. Any ideas???

Some hardware information:
    Dell Studio XPS 13
    Vista Home Premium 64 Bit, SP1
    TSSTcorpDVD+-RW TS-D633A drive.

Please help!
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: CD ripper freezes computer

Possibly a bad driver, or even a copy protected CD which has installed something nasty on the system (like Sonys Root Kit).

You can set dBpoweramp to rip like WMP (extra features are not available, such as c2 pointers), by selecting CD Ripper >> Options >> Communication to Windows Built-in
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• DBrim
      • Jun 2009

Originally posted by Spoon
      Possibly a bad driver, or even a copy protected CD which has installed something nasty on the system (like Sonys Root Kit).

You can set dBpoweramp to rip like WMP (extra features are not available, such as c2 pointers), by selecting CD Ripper >> Options >> Communication to Windows Built-in
      Drive firmware is up to date as per both Dell's site and samsung.

Setting it to rip like WMP did not fix the problem.

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

For the computer to freeze it has to be something malfunctioning low level (down in the drivers), or I could put it another way - on my Vista dev machine - there is no code I could write to make the computer freeze, even if I tried.
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• DBrim
          • Jun 2009

Originally posted by Spoon
          For the computer to freeze it has to be something malfunctioning low level (down in the drivers), or I could put it another way - on my Vista dev machine - there is no code I could write to make the computer freeze, even if I tried.
          Dell's insisting that the problem's on your end, but again I'm not so sure. It's weird though.

If my graphics card (NVidia 9500M hybrid sli system) drivers are installed, my computer will freeze. I'm getting my drivers straight from Dell's website for my model.

If they're not, then the computer will not freeze.

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

Try uninstalling the graphics card drivers and Microsoft might have generic drivers for your card which do not have the issue.
            Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• LtData
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • May 2004

Somewhat off-topic, but where I work, we had a Dell laptop that had a drive that would read CDs but NOT read DVDs. We called Dell, who said if the drive can read one, it should be able to read both, but we convinced them to send us a replacement anyway. Result: the new drive could read both CDs and DVDs.

Comment

Working...

]]>