title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Album Artist not filled if various artists is expected as album artist?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jar_uk1
    • Apr 2009

Album Artist not filled if various artists is expected as album artist?

Sorry of this is a bit of a noob question.

I am testing our the config before I rip all my cd's through batch ripper, and one thing I have problems with is album artist.

If I put a single artist CD in (eg, AC/DC) then the album artist tag is filled with AC/DC. If I put a compilation cd in, (eg The Disco Album) then the album artist tag is not filled in at all. I would like it filled as Various Artists, am I missing a setting here??

jar_uk1
    aka John
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Album Artist not filled if various artists is expected as album artist?

For compilation CDs having no album artist is correct, there is no single artist and the 'compilation' tag will tell the player there are multiple artists.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• jar_uk1
      • Apr 2009

Originally posted by Spoon
      For compilation CDs having no album artist is correct, there is no single artist and the 'compilation' tag will tell the player there are multiple artists.
      Thanks for the response, it may be that my understanding is wrong, I wanted to fill in a various artists tag as from memory that is what I had to do to get the albums to sort correctly in Windows media Centre, otherwise I get them sorted by "unknown artist" (I view albums by artist which I believe uses the Album artist tag)

Is it possible to have a compilation tag the album artist as "various" or various artists"? Or is this not possible/not desirable or simply a silly thing for me to want to do.

I also wanted to sort albums so that all the compilations were in a folder marked "various artists" and through that the album artist was the best way to do, it, if not then can I do this by looking for the compilation tag? or will this put "greatest hits" albums in that folder?

jar_uk1

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

Batch Ripper allows you to script the tagging, so you can set something like

IF Album Artist=
        SET Album Artist=Various Artists

See the Batch Ripper help file on how to do this.
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• jar_uk1
          • Apr 2009

Sorry it has been a while but thanks for the earlier reply.

I have some other albums and one compilation at least has compilation tag filled, but album artist is filled in as the song artist.

Would it be better to use the compilation tag to set various artists as the album artist? I tried, but I am obviously have not got the syntax right.

I tried...

IF COMP=[string]
          SET Album Artist=Various Artists

Could someone correct my syntax please?

thanks

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

If Comp=1
            Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>