title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

FTP Transfers

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MikeTN
    • Mar 2009

FTP Transfers

New to the Forum, not new to computer audio (15 years).

Here's the problem:
    I Rip (CD Ripper) to Wave (default settings, except for Write Extensible Header - set to 'Never') to a folder on my FTP server (local). Client logs into server, sees the file, but when he tries to transfer the file, 'File doesn't exist' message comes up. I can access the file locally just fine.
    I then FTP transfer the file to a remote FTP server with WS_FTP; log off, and then log back on to that server with WS_FTP Pro. I see the file, select it and attempt to transfer it back to me. 'File doesn't exist' message appears. Same results with IE 7.

The work-around:
    On the local server, I change the extension from .wav to .sav. Hit 'Save', the obligatory Windows warning comes up, say Ok. Then, I reverse the process: Rename from .sav to .wav.
    Now the file transfers like normal.

I've tried 2 'File Compare' programs comparing the 2 files (original Rip file with .wav extension; the file with re-named extension from .wav to .sav to .wav) and there are no differences.

Opened a 'Command Prompt' and re-named the file there, but it wouldn't transfer. Only if I re-named in Windows did the file transfer.

Don't know if I should say this here, but I did the same process with EAC, and no FTP file transfer problems, but I prefer using the illustrate products.

Any ideas?
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: FTP Transfers

They are just files, it should not matter if they are wave files, or what they contain, FTP is not file or content specific.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• MikeTN
      • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Spoon
      They are just files, it should not matter if they are wave files, or what they contain, FTP is not file or content specific.
      I totally agree. But its the file header that must be in compliance with FTP protocols before transfers can take place.
      The question is what is happening with the CD Ripper Wave codec when the file is made (header generation) that would prevent it from transferring?
      It appears as if something is wrong in the file header, because just changing a character in the extension, saving it, appears to cure the problem.

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

FTP does not have mime types, like a HTTP page would. You can switch off all wave tagging if you require in dBpoweramp Configruation >> Codecs >> Advanced.
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>