title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

FLAC to WMA results in 5K files

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brian719
    • Feb 2009

FLAC to WMA results in 5K files

I just installed all your tools including reference and I figured out how to make it all run except the resulting WMA files are all 5K. All the tags are there, but the files are too small.

I do have a NAS and I installed the beta to encode local, but it did not help. I also tried converting to my local drive directly and the "length" in the tag is 0 and the file size is still 5K.

The FLAC files were originally encoded in version 1.12

Do you have any idea how to help me convert my music to WMA?

Thanks,
    -Brian
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: FLAC to WMA results in 5K files

Try encoding to a folder on your PC as a test, try encoding to Wave, what is the length?
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Brian719
      • Feb 2009

Hi Spoon, I already tried saving to my local and got the same error. I just tried saving to a wav and got the same problem with a 3kb file. I even tried FLAC to FLAC and it was the same error.

On the other hand, I took a WMA lossless file, converted it to FLAC successfully (on the NAS) and then converted it back to WMA 192kbps and that worked fine.

I can play all my current FLAC files (I converted them a couple of years ago using your program from WMA lossless after ripping them from CD).

Thanks for your help.
      -Brian

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

It looks like there is an issue with that FLAC file(s) you are converting, perhaps it is corrupted?
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Brian719
          • Feb 2009

All the flac files i have (8,000+) play just fine in my windows media player. They were created by your software (older version). How could they be corrupted, and if there is an issue, is there any way to fix them? I tried converting FLAC to FLAC and overwrote one whole album (no space to write them somewhere else) and it left me with 5K files again. This is very disheartening, and I don't want to start the rip process all over again from the original CDs. That took me forever.

Please do you have any suggestions?

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

Check you have no DSP effects running when converting, I would not say 8000 files would be corrupted, so must be something else. Also try uninstalling dBpoweramp, reboot windows an reinstall. Do the same for the FLAC codec.
            Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Brian719
              • Feb 2009

I'm back after a long hiatus with the same problem but more info. I figured out why dbpoweramp is unable to convert my flac files to WMA or WAV.

It's because somehow when the FLAC files were originally created (I believe using an older version of your software, and from WMAL), the song length info did not come over.

I used a trial version of a program called Audio Converter by River Past and successfully converted musing to WAV from these FLAC files. Then I was able to convert from WAV to WMAL using dbConverter.

I prefer not to purchase the River Past program, mainly because they don't have a good WMAL option and also because I really like your software.

I am hoping with this info you can give me guidance to convert my FLAC back to WMA lossless.

Many thanks,
              -Brian

Comment

• Spoon
                Administrator
                • Apr 2002

You can send one file for a quick inspection:

Spoon
                www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Brian719
                  • Feb 2009

FYI. I emailed you a file for analysis and turned on email notification so either reply here or email me directly. thanks, -Brian

Comment

• Spoon
                    Administrator
                    • Apr 2002

Got the file thanks, will look ASAP.
                    Spoon
                    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Spoon
                      Administrator
                      • Apr 2002

Now fixed:

Spoon
                      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Brian719
                        • Feb 2009

Thanks Spoon! Naturally there remains a problem. The conversion worked however it did not fill in the length of the file in the newly created wma lossless file. As a result, Windows Media Play is unable to sync/compress these converted files to my mobile devices. I guess it's because it can't calculate the file size. I don't see any way to edit the song length using tag editors. Worse, stupid me converted all the files and deleted the source flac files and now that they are combined with the rest of my library it will be even more difficult to fix these files once I figure out how to edit the song length.

Do you have any ideas how to edit the song length? Do you think you can add that data in during a conversion where the length is missing?

Not that I want you to feel guilty (too much), but I originally used your program to convert from WMA to FLAC and that started this whole fiasco a couple of years ago.

I really appreciate whatever advise, programming, pity you can give me :-).

-Brian

P.S. let me know if you want me to email you a sample file.

Comment

• fphredd
                          dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                          • Feb 2009

Should anything be done to files written to flac prior to the release of the new codec? I will "probably" only be playing them as flac, but you never know.

Thanks

Comment

• Spoon
                            Administrator
                            • Apr 2002

Brian: If you convert to wave then wma does it work?
                            Spoon
                            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Brian719
                              • Feb 2009

if i wasnt so quick to delete the flac files probably. now i get an error tryong to conv wma to wav.

Comment

Working...

]]>