title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Compilation tagging

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GarryC
    • Jan 2009

Compilation tagging

Hi,

First of all I've just started using dbPoweramp and I love it!

Normally when I rip a Compilation CD I set the Artist to 'Compilation', the album to 'Now that's what I call..' and the track name to a combination of the Artist and Track name eg: 'Madonna - Holiday' This is so I can keep my compilations neatly all in one place.

I can set the file name how I want, but can't seem to set the tags to reflect this naming scheme. Before I switched to dbpoweramp I used EAC which ripped compilations like this. Is this possible using dbpoweramp?

Kind Regards
    Garry
  • Wayne
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Aug 2002

Re: Compilation tagging

Which version of dMC are you using? I use the Reference version to store all the compilation albums as separate folders within a parent folder called "Compilations" but with each track still retaining the correct artist information in the tags.

I am not on my home PC at the moment so I am unable to supply the naming scheme that I use.

See the Naming Scheme Tutorial here http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=13928

Comment

• GarryC
      • Jan 2009

Hi Wayne,

I'm using the reference version (just bought it today)

No problems with the file/folder naming it's the Meta Data that I want to tweak.

On compilation CDs I'd like to put the artist and title in the title tag, for example:

Artist: Compilations
      Album: Now that's what I call...
      Track: Holiday - Madona

As I mentioned EAC will allow me to do this (probably because it's not so fully featured) but I can only do this in dbp if I cut and paste the titles for each track which gets boring very quickly.

- Garry

Comment

• GarryC
        • Jan 2009

Sorry,

Title not track - oppps!

Artist: Compilations
        Album: Now that's what I call...
        Title: Holiday - Madona

- Garry

Comment

• GarryC
          • Jan 2009

Well I've spent all afternoon searching these forums and exploring the options in dBp trying to find a way to add the artist name to the title, and it looks like it's not possible.

However I did manage to find a clunky workaround.

First I deleted the cdplayer.ini file
          Then I loaded a compilation CD into EAC, this gave me the titles that I wanted.
          In EAC I exported the CD info to the cdplayer.ini file.
          Back to dBp and I retrieved the data from the cdplayer.ini file.

So a bit of a kludge, but it saves a lot of typing.

- Garry

Comment

• garym
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Nov 2007

not sure how to do it in dbpoweramp, but you could certainly do this easily enough in mp3tag or maybe foobar. Use the tag from filename options and you can get exactly what you are seeking.

Comment

• Spoon
              Administrator
              • Apr 2002

Would it not be better to set:

Compilation as '1' (ie check the compilation)
              Each artist correct
              Each track title correct
              The Album Artist left blank, or set to Compilation, or Various Artists?
              Spoon
              www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• GarryC
                • Jan 2009

The problem is when I import one of these compilations in to WinAmp the artist list gets filled with loads of artists with just one track. It's even worse if you rip a 4 CD compilation of D'n'B and end up with sixty artists who only have ever made one track in their lives.

My CDs are ordered alphabetically with Compilations on a separate self at the end. That's how I search through my mp3s as well. Splitting the compilation into loads of separate artists just creates an organisational nightmare for me.

- Garry

Comment

• Wayne
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Aug 2002

What you really want is Winamp to either use the album artist when organising albums or recognise and treat compilations properly

Comment

• GarryC
                    • Jan 2009

Yeah, I guess Winamp is getting a bit long in the tooth. I like it cos the interface is really small when I'm listening, all I need is play/stop/pause etc and the title of the current track.

I've considered iTunes but the buttons are the size of dinner plates, what's the point of that?

- Garry

Comment

• Porcus
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • Feb 2007

I don't know about Winamp, but Foobar can easily be installed in multiple instances, each with its own library. So you can have a desktop shortcut to Foobar, Foobar Comps, Foobar Classical.

Comment

• jtbse
                        dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                        • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Wayne
                        What you really want is Winamp to either use the album artist when organising albums or recognise and treat compilations properly
                        Current version of winamp (5.54) does exactly what you suggest. Allows album-based views that treat compilations beautifully as long as you populate the album artist tag with a common value like, say, "Various Artists".

Comment

Working...

]]>