title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Re-ripping and stress on CD drive

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • a.wright
    • Jan 2008

Re-ripping and stress on CD drive

I am about 20% of the way through ripping my CDs and the whole process has been going very smoothly until one of my CDs (19 years old) suddenly showed "re-ripping frame 3945". 30 minutes later and it had moved about 10 frames! I skipped to the next track and it showed "re-ripping 18892 frames".

When I looked at the CD, it appeared that the surface had lots of little cracks, hence the issues ripping it. This is the first time I have ever seen this on a pressed CD.

Anyway my question is what is the likelehood of getting a decent rip (it seems to play ok) vs the stress that might be put on the CD drive if it could take hours to extract the data? I have no idea how long the process might have taken but judging by the speed it was going, it probably would have been taken all night.

Is it realistically worth bothering with or am I just better off buying a new CD and done with?

Thanks!
  • bhoar
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Sep 2006

Re: Re-ripping and stress on CD drive

1. Sometimes a drive will "freak out" during a rip and start throwing errors on most or all frames. So, try another drive or perhaps try the same drive after shutting down the computer and letting it cool for 20 or more minutes.

2. If the disc really is damaged severely, it's best to find a replacement disc.

-brendan

Comment

• a.wright
      • Jan 2008

Thanks. I think as the disc seems to be self destructing I'll just buy another.. it's only £6.99 for a shiny new one after all!

Comment

• LtData
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • May 2004

See here also: http://winhlp.com/node/10

Comment

• Porcus
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Feb 2007

I use more than one drive. If there are still troubles, I leave it to rip overnight if necessary. I have experienced 13899 frames re-ripped and all turning out good (but that was on a PX-230A, which could do that in half an hour or so).

Comment

Working...

]]>