title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

C2 causes audio pops

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wildcat
    • Jan 2009

C2 causes audio pops

When I have C2 enabled a few additional errors are detected, and the ripped song has noticeable "pops" at those time indexes. If I disable C2 and level Ultra Secure on, eventually the track is ripped securely (though does not match AccureRip), but there are lots of message like "Re-rip Frame: 310020 (00:00:40.200) matched 10 / 11." However, there are no pops. Is it possible that when my drive reports a C2 error it simply drops the contents of the frame? What else might cause C2 to introduce the pops when there is an error?

I'm using the latest dbPoweramp with a Lite-On LH-20A1L

Thank you.
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: C2 causes audio pops

It is a fault of the drive, c2 on or off should not change the audio data in any way (make sure you have the interpolate on error option unchecked).
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• wildcat
      • Jan 2009

Disabling the "interpolate on error" option solved the problem! Now I can leave C2 error detection on, and even when C2 errors are detected I don't hear the "pops."

I thought interpolation would be a good option to have on, but it must do something other than what I expected.

Thanks for the help.
      Last edited by wildcat; 01-07-2009, 06:23 PM. Reason: Added c2 info

Comment

• bhoar
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by wildcat
        Disabling the "interpolate on error" option solved the problem! Here I thought that would be a good option to have on, but it must do something other than what I expected. Thanks for the help.
        Yeah, I had the same experience with "Interpolate Unrecoverable Frames". I think this is because it interpolates the entire frame based on the preceding and subsequent frames vs. using the best-match, but not quite up to snuff, frame data, which may have only minor or even inaudible glitches most of the time.

-brendan

Comment

• Porcus
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Feb 2007

Wildcat,
          this probably means you have a defective disc. The reason why you don't hear the pops, is that your CD drive does a better job interpolating than dBpoweramp does.

An audio CD drive's primary task is to play in real-time, and it will do whatever it takes to produce a real-time bitstream, including interpolating when it gets something wrong. If you speed it up, it would usually still do the same thing: if something is wrong, repair on-the-fly, smooth out the errors and hope noone notices. Here is basically the raison d'ĂȘtre of a "secure" CD-ripping application like dBpoweramp: you nag the damn drive into reporting all errors, confessing every detail of all its mistakes, and then you ask it to re-read again and again until you are satisfied or you choose to give up.

In the latter case, what do you do? Well, you fall back to what the drive would happily do, you interpolate over errors. Or you can let the drive do so. Who is best, the drive firmware or your software? Depends, of course -- some are better than other, and most are better than dBpoweramp on this particular task. (To be frank, this otherwise glorious application sucks so bad at interpolation that it should hardly be considered a "feature".)

Comment

Working...

]]>