title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Please clarify-Volume Normalize Replay Gain Itunes Ipod

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ameliajune
    • Aug 2008

Please clarify-Volume Normalize Replay Gain Itunes Ipod

I am about to start ripping over 1100 cd's and want to be clear on this volume assistance.

I will rip all the cd's to mp3's for playback through iTunes and on an iPod. I am looking for volume stabilization from track to track, meaning, I hit shuffle, walk away, and don't have to peel in running to change volume or strain to hear some songs.

iTunes has Sound Check, which I have tried and it really doesn't work.

What DSP should I add/use and at what settings?

Thank you so much.
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Please clarify-Volume Normalize Replay Gain Itunes Ipod

If you are happy with Replaygain, and there is no reason why you should not be, then apply the replaygain to the mp3 files you are creating for the ipod would do the trick, use the Volume Normalize DSP effect and select Replaygain.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• ameliajune
      • Aug 2008

Thanks spoon. I'm really new to this, so your patience is appreciated.

If I understand correctly, Replay Gain doesn't modify the files whereas Volume Normalizer does? Do these two programs work in tandem?

One more hitch, I'm going to rip to two formats (lossy and lossless) at once. Should this affect my decision? I'm trying to decide on a lossless format right now.

Comment

• vance43211
        • Apr 2008

use mp3gain

MP3Gain - A free automatic mp3 volume normalizer

Comment

• LtData
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • May 2004

The ReplayGain DSP effect just writes tags to the file, and doesn't alter the audio itself.
          If you use the VolumeNormalize DSP effect with the "ReplayGain" option chosen, the file is run through the ReplayGain effect, but instead of just tags being written, the audio itself is modified.

Comment

• vance43211
            • Apr 2008

Originally posted by LtData
            The ReplayGain DSP effect just writes tags to the file, and doesn't alter the audio itself.
            If you use the VolumeNormalize DSP effect with the "ReplayGain" option chosen, the file is run through the ReplayGain effect, but instead of just tags being written, the audio itself is modified.
            I'm confused. I look up ReplayGain through the net. yet the only download link on their site is mp3gain

how do you download and use ReplayGain?

Comment

• LtData
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • May 2004

If you're referring to the "official" site, it was last updated in 2001. If you have installed the DSP effects into dMC or the [ReplayGain] utility codec, you already have the ability to use it.

Comment

• al-zoir
                dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                • May 2006

Originally posted by vance43211
                Thanks for the un-hoped help. This is a program I have used in the past, but after some losses of data, during cleering my discs, I have completely forgotten. I have downloaded it and hope it will solve my volume unequality problem on playng my library. I don't remember if it was good or bad, but I think it is unique. As for the regain program in my dcc, till now I have not understood if it is possible to use it with my versions (r11 in dccc and r3 in dap, I think not, but I do not take a clear answer). Thanks again.

Comment

• Porcus
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Spoon
                  If you are happy with Replaygain, and there is no reason why you should not be
                  Clipping? Or is that issue eliminated?

Comment

• Spoon
                    Administrator
                    • Apr 2002

Generally speaking RG will low the volume not raise it, also calculated are peak values to stop clipping.
                    Spoon
                    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• ameliajune
                      • Aug 2008

I wonder why someone would do that because wouldn't you want to not alter the file?

I'm sorry, I'm so confused with ReplayGain / Volume Normalizer. I don't know why this is stumping me to get. I have read forums and Wiki for hours.

Ok.
                      If I Multi-Encode MP3 and Apple Lossless or FLAC, with just Replay Gain, there will be a tag written somewhere in ?both? files. If I use WinAmp or something that supports Replay Gain it will work and each track (I use shuffle A LOT so would I use track or album or both?) will be played at the same level.

However, if I have a lot of random MP3 files that were not encoded with Replay Gain and they come up in shuffle, they will sound quieter.

If I Multi-Encode MP3 and Apple Lossless or FLAC, with just Volume Normalizer, will both the MP3 AND the Lossless file be altered or just the MP3? I think, if I understand correctly this would be the way to go if I'm using Itunes, but then again, if I have other random MP3 files I've received from friends, etc., this might not work either.

Or maybe Itunes Soundcheck will over write everything. All I know is that when I check that little box (Soundcheck) in iTunes, I'm constantly having to adjust the volume knob up and down and it drives me bonkers.

Thanks for your patience and any clarification.

Comment

• Spoon
                        Administrator
                        • Apr 2002

Answering here (we cannot have discussions across 2 forums):

(BTW any form of volume normalize, even replaygain, has to alter the audoi before you hear it, it is just a matter of when that alteration is done: encoding mp3, or on playback by a RG compatible player).
                        Spoon
                        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• ameliajune
                          • Aug 2008

Got it, ... thank you so much!

Sorry for the cross post, I didn't know the forums were connected. :o

Comment

• LtData
                            dBpoweramp Guru
                            • May 2004

They aren't, but if your asking the question here and in HA, no reason to duplicate the questions and answers.

Comment

• vance43211
                              • Apr 2008

If you're referring to the "official" site, it was last updated in 2001. If you have installed the DSP effects into dMC or the [ReplayGain] utility codec, you already have the ability to use it.
                              so it's in dbpoweramp?

Comment

Working...

]]>