title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Multivalued metadata, semicolons and lost information

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • atlantic
    • Jan 2008

Multivalued metadata, semicolons and lost information

When you add several values for a metadata field and separate them with a semicolon, the values are put into separate fields. For example George; Eddie; Bootsy results in:
    ARTIST=George
    ARTIST=Eddie
    ARTIST=Bootsy

This works for all the standard meta fields in dMC. But if you try the same for a custom field, like PRODUCER, only the characters prior to the semicolon will be saved. Everything after semicolon is lost, no new field, nothing.

Why is this? Is it just something forgot to code correctly or is it not possible to function the same way as the standard metadata fields?
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Multivalued metadata, semicolons and lost information

Update your FLAC version and dBpoweramp to R13.1 (beta).
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• atlantic
      • Jan 2008

Ok, I installed them and now it's functioning much better. But there's still something...

The more common tags like ARTIST, COMPOSER, GENRE, STYLE all produce a separate field for every value:
      ARTIST=value
      ARTIST=value
      ARTIST=value

But "custom" values such as BAND, PERSONNELL, PRODUCER all come out as one field:
      BAND=value; value; value

I checked these results with MP3TAG and Winamp.

I suppose it'd be best if there was a unanimous behaviour?

BTW the dBp Edit ID-Tag application shows everything as one field (ARTIST=value; value; value).

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

We store like that as only certain fields are really designated as multi. For example Comment, you might have 'ABC; DEF' that should not be seperated.
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>