title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Advice please - Which Drive for Ripping?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chip
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Aug 2008

Advice please - Which Drive for Ripping?

Hi all,
    I am considering a replacement or additional drive for ripping CDs.
    I would like to know which drive(s) should be on my short list?
    Quality of product
    Ripping Quality
    Performance
    Personal Experience
    Personal Preference

Does a list like this exist somewhere?

Thanks,
    Chip
  • BugsBunny
    • Aug 2008

Re: Advice please - Which Drive for Ripping?

You can find a feature list here:

And here a discussion:

I've recently tested around 20 drives I've got at home.
    I cecked the features of the drives and reported them back to daefeatures.

I also used a disc (without scratches) that is old (from '83) and it seems that the info layer of this disc degraded over time. It seems impossible to rip without errors. Then I also used a disc that is copy controlled.

Very good results I got with the PLEXTOR CD-R PX-W4012S and the PLEXTOR DVDR PX-716A.
    The TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S203D is quite good as well but has no overread from/into leadin/leadout.
    I would in any case look for a drive that supports C2 error detection. The drives I tested without C2 nearly always reached 6 ultra passes with the degraded CD. New errors were detected after each ultra pass (-> marked red). Wereas this was rarely the case with drives that supported C2. It seems as if C2 helped quite a lot to get consistent results in the different passes.
    If you want the read leadin/leadout feature as well maybe the best thing is to get some older Plextor on ebay.

Comment

Working...

]]>