title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Problems with ASUS CD-S520/A drives

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • blavoie77
    • Aug 2008

Problems with ASUS CD-S520/A drives

Hi,

I have two ASUS CD-S520/A drives at home. Both can't be configured with AccurateRip. They're exactly the /A model, NOT the A4 or A5.

The online database lists an offset of +1194 for this drive. However, as you probably know, the offset usually changes depending on the firmware version you use.

In my case, one has firmware 1.6K, and the other has firmware 1.8K. The value listed on the list of drives is probably using the offset value of firmware 1.7K or 1.9K, or even a newer version.

With another drive, I'd simply upgrade my firmware. That's what I did for my ASUS - CRW-5232AS, which couldn't be configured when it had firmware 1.0, but worked fine when I upgraded to firmware 1.03. However, the ASUS CD-S520/A series doesn't have a flashable ROM chip, so you're stuck with the firmware that was on the drive when you bought it.

The real offset for the 1.6K is +737. I haven't yet tested the 1.8K, but it's probably different as well. Future versions of AccurateRip should not only store the drive model, but also the firmware version. After all, the string is already in the registry under the CD-DriveSampleOffset value. In my case, the string is :

ASUS CD-S520/A 1.6K

AccurateRip should therefore detect that it's a new drive/firmware combination, and not limit itself to ASUS CD-S520/A when querying the database to match the offset it detected with the expected one.

In the meantime, is there a way for me to 'manually' configure AccurateRip through the registry or something similar, so that I can finally get my 'All tracks ripped accurately' message when everything goes as planned, just like when I rip discs with a Plextor CD-R PX-W2410A or my CRW-5232AS ?

Please, don't tell me to exclusively use the Plextor or the CRW-5232AS, that's not what I want to hear. I want to be able to accurately rip on ALL my drives, and I'm sure there's a way to do this. The ASUS CD-S520/A is one of the best drives out there in terms of reliability and C2 Error detection. It's just a shame that the firmware can't be updated.

Thanks!
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Problems with ASUS CD-S520/A drives

The offset stored in AR is just a helper, every drive has to still configure using CDs.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• blavoie77
      • Aug 2008

Why will it refuse to use the exact same key discs I used to successfully configure my other drives in the first place then?

To configure my PLEXTOR CD-R PX-W2410A and the ASUS CRW-5232AS, all I had to do was to insert this CD :

Cadaver - ... In Pains (Earache 1992, MOSH 71 CD)

AccurateRip told me right away that configuration was successful, even though that CD is not listed as a key disc.

However, when I insert the exact same disc in my ASUS CD-S520/A drives, after getting the "This audio CD can be used to configure AccurateRip. CD Drive Type: ASUS - CD-S520/A. Expected offset: Database (+1194 samples) Previous my offset (+737 samples)" dialog, I always get this message :

"This Key Disc cannot be used for offset detection (it does not match the one stored in AccurateRips database), please try a different Key Disc."

Why can it be used as a Key Disc for my Plextor & Asus burner, but not for the CD-S520/A ?

The only disc that gives me a different message is U2 "The B-Sides 1990-2000". The message I get is :

"AccurateRip needs to verify the offset generated, for this it needs 3 Key Discs that give the same offset, please insert another Key Disc. Calculated offset value: +737 samples, +2948 bytes".

However, no matter which discs I enter afterwards (I've tried quite a few from the list of key discs), I always get the same message :

"This Key Disc cannot be used for offset detection (it does not match the one stored in AccurateRips database), please try a different Key Disc."

Any help or explanations would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

Because that one disc has multiple pressings (multiple offsets stored in the database).
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• blavoie77
          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Spoon
          Because that one disc has multiple pressings (multiple offsets stored in the database).
          There must be something I don't understand then.

The disc I've used (the Cadaver one) works for two drives. If I take the exact same disc (the same physical piece of plastic) and try it in the ASUS CD-S520/A, AccurateRip configuration doesn't work.

What is stored exactly?

I mean, are confidence levels based only on a drive/disc combination (ie. I'd get a confidence level when ripping with my PLEXTOR drive, and then another totally different when using my ASUS CD-RW), or should they be unique for each disc, no matter which drive you use?

Is it possible that a drive could change offset everytime you change a disc? I found a few other CDs that give me a "calculated offset value", yet the value changes everytime. I'll get +737 for the U2, +1233 for a specific Candlemass CD, etc. I thought this had something to do with 'Accurate stream', which is supposed to be supported on this drive.

<Update>
          Configuration was successful using the Cradle Of Filth "Dusk And Her Embrace" CD. It returned a calculated offset of +1194, which is what it was expecting according to the database. I was able to accurately rip it. However, when I try other discs (the same discs I was able to accurately rip with my other drives), I always get different results. No errors at all, yet it seems that the offset changes everytime I change the disc. The only CD that can accurately be ripped is that Cradle Of Filth CD. Any ideas?

Comment

• LtData
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • May 2004

Sounds like you got the wrong offset. Clear the AR setting stored for your drive and try configuring the drive again.

Comment

• Spoon
              Administrator
              • Apr 2002

You ave to rip the same discs on the Plextor, are they in the database, if they are not then there is nothing wrong with the asus.
              Spoon
              www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• blavoie77
                • Aug 2008

The discs are in the database. I'm using the exact same discs, which are in the database, and are accurately ripped with the PLEXTOR and ASUS Burner.

However, when doing the exact same thing with the ASUS CD-S520/A drives, with the exact same discs I ripped earlier with the PLEXTOR and ASUS Burner, I can't rip them accurately, even though there's no errors.

That's the thing - the offset seems to change with each different CD I insert. Can that be possible?

Comment

• bhoar
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Sep 2006

Originally posted by blavoie77
                  That's the thing - the offset seems to change with each different CD I insert. Can that be possible?
                  Yes, if the drive firmware is buggy.

-brendan

Comment

• Spoon
                    Administrator
                    • Apr 2002

My advice, take the drive and put it in the bin, it is one of the worst possible for ripping cds.
                    Spoon
                    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• bhoar
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Spoon
                      My advice, take the drive and put it in the bin, it is one of the worst possible for ripping cds.
                      Would it be possible for the accuraterip DLL to do some additional sanity checking on the drive, perhaps something like checking to see if the drive fails to use the same offset in three out of three tests for each CD? And also double checking the accuratestream capability?

-brendan

Comment

Working...

]]>