title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Do I keep vary drive speed each pass + Do I interpolate unrecovarable frames?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • poetryrocksalot
    • Jul 2008

Do I keep vary drive speed each pass + Do I interpolate unrecovarable frames?

What do these function do?

Also, what has better accuracy, ripping at maximum speed or minimum speed? Apparently I can only set Drive Speed under "Individual Bad Frames" so what do I select for that speed for best quality and accuracy? And what is mark track as error if insecure.

What happens if I do not interpolate unrecoverable frames? Or Vary drive speed.

What is the maximum quality and accuracy settings for ripping as .wav format?
  • EliC
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2004

Re: Do I keep vary drive speed each pass + Do I interpolate unrecovarable frames?

Originally posted by poetryrocksalot

Also, what has better accuracy, ripping at maximum speed or minimum speed?
    With most drives you can safely rip at max speed. If you are having trouble getting good rips, slow the speed down. If you have a problematic disc you can also try to slow the speed down.

And what is mark track as error if insecure.
    Instead of finishing the rip with possible pops/clicks/ect the rip will be aborted and the track marked as insecure

What happens if I do not interpolate unrecoverable frames?
    If you want the best quality, do NOT interpolate unrecoverable frames, this is basically a guess as to what should be there when the drive can not read it.

What is the maximum quality and accuracy settings for ripping as .wav format?
    There are no quality settings when ripping to wav - it is a lossless format and the quality is all 100%. I would suggest ripping to a different codec that offers some compression while also being lossless - FLAC is the most popular and well supported.

Comment

• LtData
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • May 2004

Re: Do I keep vary drive speed each pass + Do I interpolate unrecovarable frames?

To keep the WAV the same quality level as the original CD, rip to 16-bit, stereo 44.1KHz.

Comment

• Porcus
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by EliC
        There are no quality settings when ripping to wav - it is a lossless format and the quality is all 100%.
        Actually, .wav is a container format. For ripping to wav, follow LTData's advice -- but as EliC mentions, choose a different format. FLAC also has metadata capabilities.

Comment

• bhoar
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by EliC
          If you want the best quality, do NOT interpolate unrecoverable frames, this is basically a guess as to what should be there when the drive can not read it.
          I agree. I suspect this feature interpolates the entire frame when C2 cannot validate parts of the frame. If I rip with secure/ultrasecure and leave this option on when ripping badly damaged discs then:

1. Without C2, don't notice a problem.

2. With C2, I get lots of drop outs.

So, I make sure it is always off. Perhaps the feature might be suited for certain kinds of audio (perhaps with lots of silence/quiet periods in it)?

-brendan

Comment

Working...

]]>