title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Rip CDs, Inaccurate?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • javajeff
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Jan 2006

Rip CDs, Inaccurate?

Can someone tell me if the first track of a CD is on the inside or outside of the disc? I also read somewhere that it is more likely to get an inaccurate reading on the first track. I bought a CD used that looks brand new, but I get an inaccurate reading on track 1.
  • bhoar
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Sep 2006

Re: Rip CDs, Inaccurate?

Originally posted by javajeff
    Can someone tell me if the first track of a CD is on the inside or outside of the disc? I also read somewhere that it is more likely to get an inaccurate reading on the first track. I bought a CD used that looks brand new, but I get an inaccurate reading on track 1.
    Track 1 is on the inside.

If by "inaccurate reading" you mean read errors (and I am unsure if that is what you mean), I have read the opposite of what you did - it is more likely you will encounter read errors on the outside of the disc.

-brendan

Comment

• javajeff
      dBpoweramp Enthusiast
      • Jan 2006

Originally posted by bhoar
      Track 1 is on the inside.

If by "inaccurate reading" you mean read errors (and I am unsure if that is what you mean), I have read the opposite of what you did - it is more likely you will encounter read errors on the outside of the disc.

-brendan
      Inaccurate means that the song does not match other users in the database and could be a read error. Another interesting development is that I just installed an old CD Drive into my computer, and both inaccurate tracks from my DVD came up as accurate. There seems to be a difference between a CD drive and both of my DVD Drives. I am going to keep the CD now.
      Last edited by javajeff; 07-05-2008, 10:10 PM.

Comment

• bhoar
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Sep 2006

Inaccurate means that the song does not match other users in the database and could be a read error. Another interesting development is that I just installed an old CD Drive into my computer, and both inaccurate tracks from my DVD came up as accurate. There seems to be a difference between a CD drive and both of my DVD Drives. I am going to keep the CD now.
        I know what Inaccurate means, I just wasn't aware of any reference to Inaccurate being *more* likely on the inner portion of a disc ... so I thought you might be referring to information sources stating that it is harder to read (which can lead to inaccurate) on the outside of the disc.

Looks like the point is moot now, though. Sorry I wasn't too helpful.

-brendan

Comment

• javajeff
          dBpoweramp Enthusiast
          • Jan 2006

Originally posted by bhoar
          I know what Inaccurate means, I just wasn't aware of any reference to Inaccurate being *more* likely on the inner portion of a disc ... so I thought you might be referring to information sources stating that it is harder to read (which can lead to inaccurate) on the outside of the disc.

Looks like the point is moot now, though. Sorry I wasn't too helpful.

-brendan
          No problem. I thought I read it that people were having more problems with the first track of CDs for whatever reason. It could have more to do with a drive alignment or something. I am not an expert on drives and perhaps someone else could shed some light on this subject. I also tried another CD that had one inaccurate track, and the CD Drive read it as accurate too. I wonder if CD Drives are better at ripping.

Comment

• bhoar
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Sep 2006

No problem. I thought I read it that people were having more problems with the first track of CDs for whatever reason. It could have more to do with a drive alignment or something. I am not an expert on drives and perhaps someone else could shed some light on this subject. I also tried another CD that had one inaccurate track, and the CD Drive read it as accurate too. I wonder if CD Drives are better at ripping.
            It's hard to say, but some drive models are better than others. It makes some sense that older CD drives might be better at CD stuff since the manufacturers are concentrating on DVD technology now.

-brendan

Comment

• javajeff
              dBpoweramp Enthusiast
              • Jan 2006

I had an inaccurate track read on my CD Drive, but the DVD Drive read it as accurate. That is the first time the reverse has happened. I am ripping my collection to flac, and very FEW CDs have problems. Only 4 out of 300+, so I would just replace them if my drives cannot read them.

Comment

• Spoon
                Administrator
                • Apr 2002

Normally last tracks (outside) are the more difficult to read.
                Spoon
                www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>