title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

VBR 190 -V 2 (standard) vs CBR 192

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • javajeff
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Jan 2006

Which is likely to sound better? Is there a formula to predict the increased file size from -V 2 to -V 1 or -V 0? I have been using CBR 192, and now I am thinking about switching to VBR. Thanks for the insight.
  • garym
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Nov 2007

Re: VBR 190 -V 2 (standard) vs CBR 192

I can't speak to which will sound better (as in many cases I doubt you could ABX the difference between a LAME VBR -V2 and a CBR 192). However, you could find enough info on the web that would take you WEEKS to read that all has the same message: LAME VBR is the preferred encoder of choice for people that think about the quality of mp3 music files. I switched long ago from CBR192 to LAME VBR -V2. On average my vbr files are a little smaller (as they should be given the vbr technology).

I assume you are talking about reripping (CD to mp3) rather than transcoding CBR files to VBR (which you don't want to do). If you're going to rerip, I'd suggest ripping to lossless (I use FLAC), and then you can encode your entire library to whatever mp3 size you prefer at the moment with only a couple of mouse clicks.

Comment

• javajeff
      dBpoweramp Enthusiast
      • Jan 2006

Yeah, I am not going to convert mp3s to mp3s, and the mp3s that I buy from Amazon are already high quality VBR, so I plan on leaving them alone even if the rest of my collection is of lower quality. I am talking about re-ripping my CDs, and I am trying to decided what quality to go with. I have been ripping new CDs to flac, so I am starting a collection of those files and will likely put them on DVD's for backup. I thought I read somewhere that some mp3 devices cannot read VBR. Is that true?

Comment

• garym
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Nov 2007

I haven't done any extensive research on this, but I'd be surprised that any device put out in the last 3 year could not play mp3 VBRs. Maybe some very old car CD-ROM players that will only play mp3 CBR with ID3v1 tags. But I think you'd have to really search hard for a player that won't handle VBR. I personally use several IPODS (v3, v5, classic).

Comment

Working...

]]>