title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

AccurateRip & "Different Pressings"

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bishop
    • Jun 2008

AccurateRip & "Different Pressings"

Hi everybody,

I'm new to this forum and about to archive my CD-Collection on my PC using EAC and AccurateRip - guess that's might be a typical Newbie first liner.

Having already started with a dozen different test CD's, a couple of questions have emerged, that I couldn't find an answer (or FAQ) to. So hopefully you'll be so kind and help me on my way to my perfect digital CD-Library: :smile2:

First and most importantly:
    I've quite some CDs with track quality 99,9% - 100% and matching CRCs (Test & Copy), yet none of these tracks are "accurately ripped". The suggested reason given by EAC for this problem is, that I've probably got a "different pressing".

Now at first this seemed a perfectly valid explanation to me, given that absolutely none of the tracks are matching, whereas with the other CDs all the Tracks are accurate Rips.

The strangething about this is, that I've got a two CD Version of a Musical and when I rip the first one, I get Accurate Rips all the way, whereas with the seond one (from the same set!!!) i get no Accurate Rips at all (tough track quality is usually 100%). So can this really be a different pressing (being sold together in the same box), or is there something that I might be doing wrong?

Secondly, when I get an Accurate Rip (with confidence Level xy), can I then be 99,9% (or even more ) sure, that I've got a perfect copy of the track or is there still a chance that I might be doing something wrong?

Thirdly, what role do the Gaps play?
    Can a wrong setting in EAC regarding this, result in incorrect audio files?

And finally, does it matter what CD-Drive you're using, as long as you're getting AccurateRips?

Thanks in advance,
    Bishop
  • LtData
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2004

Re: AccurateRip & "Different Pressings"

1. If your getting CDs that are all inaccurate but still getting discs showing accurate, then you probably have different pressings. As for the two CDs in the same box, were the confidence levels different?
    2. If the confidence level is above 2 or 3, there is a greater than 1 in a billion chance you and another person got exactly the same error on two unrelated discs.
    3. Not sure, though I do know some of the starting and ending data is disregarded by AR.
    4. True, it doesn't matter, but if you are NOT getting AccurateRips, your CD drive DOES matter.

Comment

• Bishop
      • Jun 2008

Thanks a lot for your short & precise answers, LtData!

1. The First CD has 19 tracks that I can all rip with an accuracy Level of 8, whereas the second one has 13 Tracks and all of them cannot be ripped accurately at a confidence Level of 7.

A similar thing happened with another Musical Box Set (different Musical, different Manufacturer, but also a 2 CD Box Set). This time the first (accurately ripped) CD had a confidence Level of 3, whereas the second one (notaccurately ripped) had a confidence Level of 2.

So what would you say my chances are, that I might indeed have different pressings?
      (As said before track quality is always at least 99,9%.)

2. Thanks for confirming this!

3. Excuse me, but what does "AR" stand for?

4. Good, that's exactly as I thought then.

Comment

• EliC
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • May 2004

Originally posted by Bishop
        3. Excuse me, but what does "AR" stand for?
        AccurateRip

Comment

• Bishop
          • Jun 2008

Silly me. :D

Thanks for clearing this up!

Comment

Working...

]]>