title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

HDCD Rip Issue - Roxy Music "Avalon"

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • akopperl
    • Mar 2008

HDCD Rip Issue - Roxy Music "Avalon"

Today I ripped The Roxy Music "Avalon" CD - SACD / CD Hybrid version. The CD version includes HDCD. However, when I ripped the CD - it only ripped it as a 16 bit recording. When I rip, I have the HDCD DSP on at all times.

I have other CDs with HDCD that ripped as 24 bit recordings. Any advice on why it did not work with "Avalon"? Also, will the 24 bit rips sound just as good as playing back the CD through an HDCD decoder?

Thanks
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: HDCD Rip Issue - Roxy Music "Avalon"

If your right click on the columns and switch on the technical column, does that highliht the cd as HDCD?
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• akopperl
      • Mar 2008

No, it does not display HDCD in the Technical column. The disc does state that it is an HDCD disc. I guess the disc may be mislabeled.

If a disc does have HDCD, will it sound the same ripped to 24 bits as it does when played back through an HDCD compatible player.

Thanks,

Anthony

Comment

• mville
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by akopperl
        No, it does not display HDCD in the Technical column. The disc does state that it is an HDCD disc. I guess the disc may be mislabeled.
        The Roxy Music Avalon hybrid SACD is mislabelled. The HDCD logo on the artwork is a mistake.

The CD layer is not HDCD. There are other audiophile forums that confirm this.

Comment

• PaulEasterly
          • Mar 2012

Do you know whether Joni Mitchell's Shadow and Light (Asylum Records 8122 74663-2) is an HDCD?

Comment

Working...

]]>